Wallpapering Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am due to start on our spare room in the week. The walls are not great so going down the road of anaglypta and then painting over this.

I had allready stripped the walls of the old paper around 6 months ago so the walls just need basic prep work.

My question is the walls had been painted years back by the other person who lived in so do i need to paint them again before i size the wall or can i just lightley sand over this painted wall and then size and put paper up without painting first.

Also one wall was re plasterd 6 months ago and has no paint on at all. How do i go about putting paper on this wall. Will this need a coat of paint then size or not.

Also we have a celling that had some old tiles on and i have removed the old glue. Do i need to mix water and paint for a first coat on the celling or do i use PVA

Chris

Many Thanks
Chris

Sponsored Links
With regards to the walls, just a sand down and then give it a coat of dilute paste, plenty on the new plaster. Just papaer away then and allow it to dry thoroughly before painting. If the ceiling has been painted before the tiles were applied then just basic prep and coat up with emulsion as normal. Dont use PVA prior to putting paint on.

thanks for the reply.

What do you mean by paste is that same as size stuff i guest just mixed with more water

With regards to celling in our living room we had tiles etc on so i have removed the tiles and the glue with steamer. Cant tell if its been painted or not but going to just paint it i guest it will take 4 or 5 coats

Chris

Size is not the same as paste but.... its just as easy to use the paste that you have mixed for the wallpaper. Helps make the paper slip into position and takes the abscorboncy off the wall.

Sponsored Links
I have only ever used sized stuff 24hrs before in the pass so if i go down the sme route i should be fine

Chris

Hi all,

I have a small problem again with the prep work on my walls. I have now lightley sanded all the walls ready for papering next weekend and washed them down so they are clean from dust but now hit another problem.

I have noticed today that some area's of paint have started to slightley flake off at the edges of some patches on the wall. This paint has been on for years and was under the paper before i removed it.

Can anyone tell what could be causing some area's to slightley flake and turn out if you know what i mean as its hard to explaine. Problem now that these area do not feel smooth anymore.

Is there anything to stop this or to do before i paper as i guest if i sand these small areas again and wash down then it will happen again.

Chris

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back