Which tool would you recommend?

Well...... Just tried to undo the nuts on the basin and the tool wouldn't fit, too bulky to get into the depression :rolleyes: Looks like i'll have to pope out and get one of the solid ones and give that a try. If that doesnt work, I may very well try the angle grinder approach. How can such a simple job turn out to be such a pain in the arse :rolleyes: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
This is what you want.
TB15438.jpg

have got two of them one imp the other met and neither fitted some taps during the week :rolleyes: :rolleyes: had to use the faithful rigid basin wrench even then it was not easy,but hey thats why we get the big money :LOL:

Quite likely the tap will be bonded into a square hole, and you'll crack the basin trying to get it unstuck if you tyry turning it. If you bang it it might free, or it might also break.

I would just hit the ****ing basin with a lump hammer anyway and start again.

Sponsored Links
Paul Barker said:
Quite likely the tap will be bonded into a square hole, and you'll crack the basin trying to get it unstuck if you tyry turning it. If you bang it it might free, or it might also break.

I would just hit the **** basin with a lump hammer anyway and start again.

:rolleyes: You my friend are a feckin genius fortune teller :rolleyes:

So, couldn't get anywhere with the tools at had, found the nut on the back to be 1" and the biggest spanner i've got for my plumbing exploists is a 24mm (only ever really need 22 and 24mm), so out comes the angle grinder with a stainless cutting disk. Straight through the taps, made short work of the basin where it caught as well :LOL: But as said, the bugger cracked along one side as the taps came out.

On the plus side I put it all back together with the new taps and nothing leaks so it can stay that way till we totally redo the bathroom ;)

Sorry, bit late now but you can drill them out from the top.

Use a blacksmiths drill if you have one, otherwise a sharpened flatbit will do it. Basically start drilling away at the washer seat and keep going...

Sorry, bit late now but you can drill them out from the top.

Use a blacksmiths drill if you have one, otherwise a sharpened flatbit will do it. Basically start drilling away at the washer seat and keep going...

Sorry I was right but not surprised.

Quite often I think I might aswell just hit the ferkin basin with me footprint from the off, save all that time trying to save it.

When removing old wc's I never think of trying to undo the screws just bash them.

The only worse customer than the one who buys their own stuff without seeking your council is the one that wants to sell the old bathroom suite.

Paul Barker said:
The only worse customer than the one who buys their own stuff without seeking your council is the one that wants to sell the old bathroom suite.

Like this one ROFPMSL? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4470106560

If I bought that i'd just cut the pipes with my angle grinder, make some money for a pro plumber :LOL:

Edit:

By the way, just tested the self adjusting wrench on the bath and it worked wonderfully. Just a shame it wouldn't fit the basin. All this hassle because I wanted a shower/mixer tap on the bath and wanted the basin taps to match :LOL:

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back