Which TRV?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am just about to redecorate our Hall and need to remove the radiator. I thought as I need to drain the whole system, the radiator cannot be isolated on it's own, that I would fit a second locking valve and TRVs the the other 6 radiators in the house (hall has thermostat).

Our boiler is old and we are looking to have it replaced soon.

My first question is should we wait till the boiler is replaced and fully flushed?

If it is ok to start now what TRV would you recommend?

Many thnaks

Meblin

Sponsored Links
We use the Honeywell VT200 and the Drayton TRV4, in that order.

No reason in priinciple why you shouldn't do it now. Any trv can give trouble after a few years, but if you look at Honeywell, Drayton and Danfoss you'll have a choice of styles of good quality. Liquid filled ones are supposed to be quicker to operate than wax filled ones, though I doubt you'd tell the difference.
Lockshields leak too, make sure yours have a nut round the shaft to tighten the seal there.
It might be a good time to diy adding "full flow" flushing points to the system. These can be 15mm pipes going to outside with, say, compression couplers on the ends with drain cocks in them. Then its really easy to flush the system well when the boiler's changed.
If rads are coming off anyway, take them outside and invert half full until clear of grot.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back