Which TRVs?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,
I'm replacing all the old radiators in our house and want to use TRVs. Any recommendations? Any good online suppliers for this kind of thing? Lockshields?

The radiators are white column and quite stylish but I don't think I want all chrome e.g. Drayton. White and chrome would be good and something that can be fitted to go straight ie parallel to the floor would be preferable.

Really grateful for help.

n

Sponsored Links
Go on! Please! Someone must know what's good out there ... Or are they all the same and I should just buy whatever?

The only firm advice I would give is to use those with liquid sensors as they respond quicker.

Most professionals use Drayton TRV4s or very similar looking ones but its mostly a matter of choice.

Tony

Thanks Tony. i'm getting prices of about £40 for Drayton sets (Chrome with lockshield). Seems expensive - in comparison to others.

Sponsored Links
PTS.drayton@£15.....and their own range are less£

Liquid filled are a little better but you can buy them for as low as a fiver or so (Screwfix, last time I looked). To pay several times that seems disproportionate to me. Buy lockshields to BS2767 for a couple of pounds (BES).
Bit of a minefield, you'll be told to buy Peglers but their Bulldog or is it Terrier lockshields don't have gland nuts - which is why they leak.

If you want to pay extra for chrome tops or the look of the thing then fine!

It's also worth putting on a few lockshields with integrated drainoffs (especially if, like me you have a concrete ground floor with loops down).

I concur with the views expressed in ChrisR's post, unless you particularly wish to purchase premium PRVs at premium prices.

I cannot agree with Agile that "most professionals use Drayton TRV4s".

"Professionals" discuss the available options with their customer and assist the customer in selecting the option which best meets their needs, expectations and budget (and certainly not because it is "very similar looking " !! )

I my experience the majority of customers will opt for mid to lower price units.

I use Danfoss Ras Ds which can be mounted horizontally. You can get them from BES for around £15 each I think, or the cheaper Ras C from Screwfix.

sister has had danfos RAS C2 for the last 6 months and they work great

Agile said:
The only firm advice I would give is to use those with liquid sensors as they respond quicker.

Most professionals use Drayton TRV4s or very similar looking ones but its mostly a matter of choice.

Tony

Quite right!

I have only EVER fitted these valve because they are reliable. If customers find them expensive, Ill fit valves of their choice and will honour no guarantee. As a plumber I will advise my customers on best products available - and not discuss a cheaper / less reliable option

Give customers an option and they will pick sh.te.

David

I used to fit only Drayton TRV3/4's or Honeywell VT200's. But then started noticing them jamming leaking and packing up at a few years old much the same as the rest.
I used a few Screwfix liquid filled £5 ones but notice they don't say they are LF now.
Westherm seem to be particularly awful for jamming and leaks.

Since the bidirectional TRV4s were introduced I have never encountered a stuck one which is why I normally use them.

The unidirectional TRV 3s were one of the worst for sticking after the Wickes!

Tony

I've been using europa ones from grahams and have had no probs. Before that I used Myson two way TRVs again without problems.
I did have a few problems with one type I think it was drayton. The problem was that the pipe didnt go far enough into the fitting. When the pipe was knocked the nut and ring slipped off.
Keep away from giacomini ...... = utter cheap crap

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back