Which type of boiler do I need?!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I am soon to move into a 2 bed victorian house. It has an upstairs bathroom(shower,toilet and sink). Kitchen downstairs along bathroom with toilet and sink.

I am getting central heating installed and have been advised to get a mid rated combi boiler. I am quoted £2700 for all plumbing, radiators and boiler. Which seems reasonable?

I have had other people tell me I should get a megaflow, do I need this for this kind of property?

I would welcome any comments to help me make the right decision

Many Thanks

Confused soon to be home owner

Sponsored Links
It sounds way too cheap to me! I would have thought about £3700-£4700 !

A combi will only supply one tap at a time!

It sounds to me as if you may have a budget non gas registered installer at that price.

Tony

I would look to get several quotes, and bear in mind the cheapest may not necessarily be the best. British Gas are considerably more expensive, and quality of work can vary. Whoever you choose, make sure they're listed on the gas safe register.

Megaflow I think is rather OTT for the size of the house. It is also dependant on incoming mains supply, if you still have an old shared water supply then it can slow to a dribble at times when the neighbours are also taking a shower! Flow rate on a combi is also affected by this, but a mid range combi will not put out a high hot water flow, so its not so much of an issue.

My view is you have choice of either a combi, of heat only boiler with a hot water cylinder and storage tank in the loft. Combi is likely cheaper option, but bear in mind if it breaks down you have neither heating or hot water pending repairs.

As with most things, you get what you pay for, budget boilers dont seem to last so long. I believe there's a list of good and not so good boilers in the FAQ's.

Sponsored Links
It sounds way too cheap to me! I would have thought about £3700-£4700 !

A combi will only supply one tap at a time!

It sounds to me as if you may have a budget non gas registered installer at that price.

Tony

Thanks

So what boiler do you recommend mega flow of combi?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back