Which type of iso valves tend to leak?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, just read in the wiki how to flush my combi ch system out with the mains water filling loop.

It requires me to shut off the flow ISO valve, but mentions that some once shut off, will leak once turned back on.

Could anyone tell/show me which type are prone to leaking?

Cheers,
Adam.

Sponsored Links
Thats for the reply.

I actually meant the main 22mm flow and return iso valves.

I just took a picture:

Or are these not the type of valves which leak?

Cheers,
Adam

Hi guys, just read in the wiki how to flush my combi ch system out with the mains water filling loop.

It requires me to shut off the flow ISO valve, but mentions that some once shut off, will leak once turned back on.

Cheers,
Adam.

Can someone tell me which ones won't leak?

Sponsored Links
The ones underneat the boiler on the boiler jig tend to leak, I think that may be what they are referring to

Cheers,
Adam.

The ones stated above, the ones in this link http://www.screwfix.com/p/isolating-valves-chrome-plated-15mm-pack-of-10/91161 I find it is rare to come across one of these that weep, we use these all the time in work with success.

Thats for the reply.

I just took a picture:

Cheers,
Adam

thats a vaillant ecomax. Don't touch those valves ! they are ballofix type the worst kind.

Thats for the reply.

I just took a picture:

Cheers,
Adam

thats a vaillant ecomax. Don't touch those valves ! they are ballofix type the worst kind.

Ok mate, thanks!

How do I go about closing this then?

I'm trying to flush my CH system with this guide: //www.diynot.com/wiki/plumbing:flushing_heating_systems

which states:
Before beginning flushing, we need to close the circuit through the boiler so that water can't short circuit through the boiler and has to flow through the radiators. In most cases the boiler isolating valves will be available and shutting one (the flow) is sufficient, leaving the return connection open to give a pressure reading from the boiler pressure gauge (you don't want to risk excessive pressures).

or will it still work?

Cheers,
Adam

Cheers,
Adam.

The ones stated above, the ones in this link http://www.screwfix.com/p/isolating-valves-chrome-plated-15mm-pack-of-10/91161 I find it is rare to come across one of these that weep, we use these all the time in work with success.

Surely you're having a laugh, Ball-o-fix are the worst for leaking,

Run the hot water tap with the control knob set very low but not off, and whilst the boiler is running turn the power off. That will leave the diverter valve in the HW position so water shouldnt be able to travel through the boiler.

Run the hot water tap with the control knob set very low but not off, and whilst the boiler is running turn the power off. That will leave the diverter valve in the HW position so water shouldnt be able to travel through the boiler.

The water temperature knob? Also, will the diverter valve got back to normal itself once I turn the boiler back on?

Sorry for all the questions lol

Cheers,
Adam

The water temperature knob? Also, will the diverter valve got back to normal itself once I turn the boiler back on?

Sorry for all the questions lol

Cheers,
Adam

yes on the boiler, there should be a control for the hot water temperature. turn it down. just to save leaving to much latent heat in the heat exchanger when you turn the power off. The diverter valve will sort itself back out when you turn the boiler back on.

Cheers,
Adam.

What do you expect? He is a HANDYMAN.

Surely you're having a laugh, Ball-o-fix are the worst for leaking,
What do you expect? He is a HANDYMAN.

The Vaillant iso valves are some of the best on boilers!

The worst are on the Pumas and Halsteads!

Any valves can leak but the Vaillant less likely to than others!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back