Leaking iso valves around heating pump

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hoping someone can offer some advice.

I have a leaking isolating valve on the 'in' side of the pump in my heating system. The joint between the valve and the pump is OK as is the valve to the pipe so its the cover for the actual tap that is dripping. Despite a couple of small tightening adjustments and some swearing its still leaking although at a lower rate.

I have a couple of questions:

Will there be a washer of some sort under this cover which may have perished (which I could replace rather than the whole valve) and if so, if I shut off this valve will I be able to work on it without draining down the system. There doesn't seem to be a drain off valve anywhere.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
I'd be inclined to drain and replace the valve, could drain it from a rad or use a self cutting washing machine valve then fit a proper drain cock

Thanks for the note.

Problem I have is the pump is upstairs just above skirting board level which leads me to believe I'd need to drain the whole of the upstairs part of the system. There doesn't appear to be a drian off valve anywhere in the system and if it makes a difference its microbore and finally I can't find a valve which isolates water going to the tank in the loft so I'd also have to turn off the whole water supply would I not?

I was very much hoping to get away with it!

Cheers

Sponsored Links
The stuffing gland is inside the bit covering the shaft of the valve then?

I loosened it a little and water, as you'd expect, seemed to flow much more quickly so tightened it straight back up

Can I isolate the valve by switching it off and if so will this be a quarter turn job all all the way round?

Sorry if I sound lke a doughnut but I've already had to clear up once!

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back