Which type of RCBO fits this CU?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been told this CU is an old council one with only 2 neutral busbars so it would be difficult to add a 2nd RCD.

So could I simply replace the MCB's on the unprotected side with RCBO's?

I've seen talk here about different types of CU which need different models of MCB, so which type of RCBO would I need for this CU (see photo below) ?

Finally, can I legally replace the MCB with an RCBO or must I get a registered electrician to do it?

29z2yvq.jpg

I've looked up the LN5915 MCB and it says M6 Type 2, and searching for RCBO's which are M6 Type 2, I can only find 2nd-hand LN6330 32A ones. I guess I could move the ring mains to the unprotected side using LN6330's and put the lights on the protected side. Would that work? But I'm guessing that would not be a replacement so would definitely need a registered electrician?

Sponsored Links
I'm not sure which MCB or why you are trying to replace it.

But if that odd MCB on the left is a good fit inside then you can get an rcbo like that 2nd hand off eBay. Model no. Starts 69

Oh I see you want all rcd protected.

Yeah it maybe worth changing the lighting Mcbs.

You maybe able to get the correct ones on eBay.

Changing all unprotected is likely to be expensive and OTT

The older original MK ones in that board are made by Siemens, although even Siemens ones have been superseded now.

Sponsored Links
IIRC, trying to fit RCBOs in those older MK boards is a pain as the existing layout of feed cables and busbars get in the way.

Take a PHOTO of the board with the cover off (take care) so we can see.

Why do you need to do this anyway?

PS, If I were doing this, I woulkd change the whole consumer unit.

IIRC, trying to fit RCBOs in those older MK boards is a pain as the existing layout of feed cables and busbars get in the way.

Take a PHOTO of the board with the cover off (take care) so we can see.

Why do you need to do this anyway?

PS, If I were doing this, I would change the whole consumer unit.

As I plan to rent the property, I need to the electrics to be certified. The lighting circuits have no RCD protection and bathroom lights were re-wired in 2011.

I have an IP65 rated shower light/fan combo over the bath/shower at 2.27m (if 2.25-3m over bath does that mean zone 2) and the rest of lights are outside of the zones. So I believe that to comply with Part P there must be an RCD on the upstairs lighting ring. 5A is all that's needed on the lighting ring, so would it be permissible to use a 16A RCBO (as I cant find 5A ones on EBay) ?

I was hoping to avoid paying £100s for a new CU, which is why I'm looking to install an RCBO instead.

I'll see if I can get a picture of the CU without the cover later.

As I plan to rent the property, I need to the electrics to be certified.
You need to get the gaps between MCBs in your CU sorted out for a start.

I may be wrong, but, AFAIAA, there is not (yet) any requirement for the electrical installations of rented accommodation to be 'certified', but the landlord does have a duty to ensure that the electrical installation is 'safe'.

Kind Regards, John

5A is all that's needed on the lighting ring, so would it be permissible to use a 16A RCBO (as I cant find 5A ones on EBay) ?

NO!!!! The 5amp mcb is there to protect the cable of the (lighting) circuit. That cable cannot handle 16amps, that's why there's 5amp breaker on it.

If your bathroom ceiling is more than 2.25m then the lights are outside of the zones. IMO, your installation is safer if you don't mess with it.
There is no requirement to bring older installations up to today's installation standards, even in rental properties.

I currently have some LN 6348 RCBO's for sale on eBay - they match the MCB on the left side of your board. Thing is the older ones take up 2 DIN spaces.

JohnW2 said:
the landlord does have a duty to ensure that the electrical installation is 'safe'.
How is that defined though? Does this mean getting rid of Code 2's "potentially dangerous" or just getting rid of the Code 1's (if present)?

If the tenant goes out into the garden with their mower, runs over the cord and is electrocuted (in traditional sense) where does this leave the landlord?

I'm guessing this is partly down to what it says in the insurance, but I'd be interest to see some of the wording in the policies to see what they actually say. Anyone?

JohnW2 said:
the landlord does have a duty to ensure that the electrical installation is 'safe'.
How is that defined though? Does this mean getting rid of Code 2's "potentially dangerous" or just getting rid of the Code 1's (if present)?
Your guess is as good as mine. As you imply, one needs to talk to lawyers and insurers about that.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back