Which undercoat plaster?

You never, ever plaster onto dry PVA. Always plaster onto it while it's wet or tacky. If the PVA dries out before you plaster onto it, go over it again with more pva. Plastering onto dry pva will fail.

phew... thanks for confirming....

Hi Metso I don't know how you got confused with my post I did say never skim on dry unibond. Maybe I should of made myself clearer for the younger boys on here , Unibond was and still is a brand name for PVA it was probably the first pva to come on the market so I always call it by that name so sorry for any confusion ;)

Sponsored Links
I just wanted to make sure, I understood correctly,

There are so many different names & brand names I sometimes find it pretty confusing.

By the way Roy C, I really like you're technique of setting some dab's and then screens in between the dabs, so to set the wall nice and plumb. I may well be going down this route...

Any after thoughts or pointers you could share.

Thank you...

Errrr, emmm,, as one of the "younger boys" on here Uncle Roy, i understood right away what you meant. :LOL:

You should of took the high spots off the artex first then unibondeed it let it dry then another coat of unibond and thin skim of bonding when unibond is tacky or as you are doing but unibond it let it go tacky then skim it. Never skim on dry unibond...

Here's what Uncle Roy said Metso,, it's very clear. ;)

Sponsored Links
sorry it was my mistake, I misunderstood unibond for bondit, if that makes any sense.

thanks for making it clear.

Hey Metso,, Roy's a great guy. He wouldn't want you apologising at all.
We've all misread something or other, or got something wrong,. I mean, look at me, i said that he was my Uncle, well he's not, he's my Dad. :LOL:

I just wanted to make sure, I understood correctly,

There are so many different names & brand names I sometimes find it pretty confusing.

By the way Roy C, I really like you're technique of setting some dab's and then screens in between the dabs, so to set the wall nice and plumb. I may well be going down this route...

Any after thoughts or pointers you could share.

Thank you...

Not really metso its quite self explanerty but another tip if you are knocking the plaster off a wall you can leave a section of old plaster on as you knock the rest off. The section you leave on could be a 4" band on the wall at ceiling height and skirting height or across the wall .A band on l/side and if a large wall a band in the middle and a band on right hand side you can scratch in between these bands then fill them in and knock off the bands then bring them in as well and float and devil the lot out ready for skimming..The bands can even be 2" wide it is something to work to if the walls are not that bad, The dabs with the wood take a lot longer to do as you have to string them horizontally and plumb them vertically..Uncle Roy. :LOL:P.S. You will have to excuse my son.... Metso.... ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back