Which wall plug?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I've just had a wall skimmed in a bedroom. We'd taken all the old plaster off surrounding the window as it was blown really badly so the plasterer put drywall onto the brick work and then skimmed over it.

Now I want to fix a curtain pole above the window but I'm wondering if I should use wall plugs for bricks or or wall plugs for drywall?

The window itself is 107cm wide, so the curtain pole will be around 130cm long in total.

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Do not hang curtain poles on Plasterboard whatever the cavity plug makers say it is doomed to fail. If you can locate the brick drill through the plasterboard into the brick and use longer screws.(y)

if thers a steel or concrete lintel above the w/f opening you might have a problem drilling through for a fixing.
is the p/board stuck tight to the wall or dot and dabbed on with a cavity behind?

Thank you for your replies.

I don't think there's a steel or concrete lintel above the window, it was just a small wooden one set into the brickwork and closer to the window itself than where I'd actually be drilling.

I think I'm just going to have to contact the plasterer and ask him how he fixed the drywall onto the bricks, as I just left him to it (I didn't want to be one of those customers that hovers as tradespeople try and work, I like to just provide tea and biscuits every now and then :)). I'm not sure if there would be a cavity behind or not.

Sponsored Links
I wouldnt worry if there is a cavity just use longer screws as I said and it should be fine.(y)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back