Which way round for T&G

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am cladding horizontal ceiling with t&g softwood.
it has v-profile on both sides, so can be fitted either way up.

The board will want to cup in the direction of downwards facing growth rings, so is it best to fit with growth rings upwards so edges pull tighter against the next board, or growth rings downwards to try and pull edges up when you fix

I recall reading there is a right way for T&G but can't remember.

Simplistic sketch attached

Attachments

• T&G.pdf
    760.7 KB · Views: 72
Sponsored Links
I may be wrong but I thought that you are supposed to alternate them

@JobAndKnock is probably better able to answer than me

it looks best if the cupping happens so the middle of the board cups and becomes proud but the joints stay tight to the ceiling

Timber shrinks mostly in a tangential direction, so if looking at the end of board the growth rings will try and straighten up as the timber shrinks

Sponsored Links
it looks best if the cupping happens so the middle of the board cups and becomes proud but the joints stay tight to the ceiling

Timber shrinks mostly in a tangential direction, so if looking at the end of board the growth rings will try and straighten up as the timber shrinks
Not sure what tangential direction implies, does that mean cup ‘up’. ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back