Creating T&G profile

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Underway on a T&G ceiling cladding on 25mm wood.
The wood has a V profile, (as per sketch)

I could have clad in just straight runs .. but chose to have a bit more 'show' about it.

Due to layout there are corner sections at 45 degree and horizontal runs to but against them.
Sketch (rough) of the corner and runs.
The first 4 or maybe 5 lengths will need to mate with the male profile of the last corner board.

Can you get a 'reasonably' priced router bit to do this profile in one pass (I have a table mounted 1/2" router)
I can do this with multiple passes with separate bits, but having to keep changing bits for rebate, and the 45 degree is going to be a pain on each piece and likely to introduce errors.

Corner.jpg
PhotoScan.jpg

Sponsored Links
You possibly won't do it in one pass with a router and get a match to your bought-in stuff. There are cheap Chinese sets available, like these, but they won't last that long (at least not based on my experience)

For T&G you generally need a set - basically two groovers with a shaft, spacers and a bearing to make the tongue or alternatively a single groover (again with shaft, spacers and bearing) to make the groove. To make the "V" (bevel , as in T&GV) you'd need to have a bevel or chamfer cutter BUT the type which has no bearing and that requires the use the side fence for the router. A 1/2in router is recommended

Either way, probably not a job for a 600 watt trim router. You may find keeping the tongues and grooves straight quite a challenge on lo ger lengths unless you use a router table (with long supports) and a vertical Shaw pressure guard or equivalent (such as a home made feather board) to keep the material pressed flat down against the table as it passes the cutter

Note that it is easier and cheaper to just groove the timbers down both edges, then machine your bevels, and use loose tongues (say rips of 1/4mm hardwood plywood) to locate everything.
Alternatively square edged timber can be given a bevel edge and simpl joined to the rest using biscuits (as in Lamelllo type biscuits - you can get router cutters for this too)

Groovers, shafts, spacers, bearings, etc for T&G
here (you normally make your own set up), bevel cutters for the bevel edge of T&GV here and here. Alternatively an edge bead can provide a more traditional look for older houses

Last edited by a moderator:
As T&GV boards already purchased..need to find a solution.
I'll look at some of the links.
I only need to do board ends ...and have a Trend T7 and Router table so just need to try and find suitable cutter.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back