Which way to go, Virgin V+HD box or HD recorder.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please would someone help me through the maze of choices for upgrading my existing steam television and VCR. I am tired of sales people telling me different things and would like an honest opinion on what I need for my situation. I am not likely to play games on it, my wife only wants to record soaps and not store loads of old movies and I would like to watch sport in HD. I have come to the conclusion that I would like to buy a 1080p Panasonic 32/37 inch and as I would like to watch and record another program would like a PVR that would do this. However taking it all into context it would be wise to upgrade my Virgin package to include their XL with the V+HD box. Would like to hear of any comments that may help

Bob

Sponsored Links
We've got a PVR and never use it since we got V+ on the XL package. V+ lets you record two programs and watch one at the same time, which is a good feature. The delay/pause Live TV feature is used very often in our house also, which you would not necessarily get on a PVR. The catch-up TV/on-demand is now quite extensive and most of it free on the XL package (apart from movies). IMO the hardware supplied for V+ is far superior to the basic cable decoder also, which seemed to crash quite a lot.

The only drawback of V+ (XL Package) is that it currently only gives you one HD channel, BBC HD. This has some sport on it but only when the same is on BBC1. There is some on-demand HD content, including movies. I think this will change in time and Virgin will subscibe to more HD content, but I'm not sure what is in the pipeline.

Not sure how Sky+ compares but I'm happy with Virgin at the moment.

Thanks for your insight, I am a bit surprised that it only receives BBC HD. I noticed that the latest Panasonsic with the freesat has dropped £100 so perhaps buying a HD dish to go along with the V+HD package would be good, I wonder if it will work ok along side freesat. When you got the V+HD with the XL package did you keep your old topbox, if so did you have to pay to have it recited. That seems to be a bit of a rip off and I have written and expressed my views.

Bob

sorry to jump in on this thread but have a question about the v+box

could you tell me if it records subtitles, or would you know what pvr records them, im hard of hearing so would need them, but at the moment i have to wait for the repeats

many thanks

Simon

Sponsored Links

could you tell me if it records subtitles, or would you know what pvr records them, im hard of hearing so would need them, but at the moment i have to wait for the repeats

many thanks

Simon

Contact virgin
My pvr has the option to record sub titles

many thanks

Simon

Contact virgin
My pvr has the option to record sub titles

and your pvr is?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back