Which way to hang doors?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently gutted a 3 bed semi. I have removed all doors, frames skirting etc. As I now plan the electrics I am wondering which way to hang the doors.

The previous doors opened into the room with the door blocking the view of the room as you open it. (I believe this was to stop embarrasment whilst people had a bath in a steel tub in front of the fire)

What would you say about having doors open up to the side walls?

Your comments would be most welcome.

Jono

Sponsored Links
Opening towards the wall cuts off the view, and also reduces draughts.

You might not be in the tin bath, but you might have an unmade bed, a pile of dirty washing up, or be sitting picking your nose, scratching yourself or snogging the cleaning lady when someone opens the door or walks past the doorway and glances in through a half-open door.

It is also handy,to be able to open a door right back to a wall,so you can move larger pieces of furniture in and out of a room :)

Sponsored Links
It is also handy,to be able to open a door right back to a wall,so you can move larger pieces of furniture in and out of a room

During the summer it is nice to have the doors open all the time. If they were sticking into the room it could prove a problem. mmm, I think I will try and get them to open to a wall as much as possible.

Thanks for your advice.

Jono.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back