Victorian door bevelled/square edge panels - which way hang?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anybody please help me with problem hanging period door?

The door is victorian/georgian. It has square edge panels on one side and chamfered panels on the other. The door opens from a kitchen into a utility room. Do the chamfered panels show on the kitchen side? Or is there no "correct" way!

Any comments appreciated!

Sponsored Links
The raised side of the panel normally faces out into the street, or if indoors out into the corridor/hallway, etc

Thanks for that JobandKnock. So the chamfered panels face into the kitchen.

I should have said it is an internal door - probably from a bedroom.

I did think it might be the other way since the side with the square edge panels looks as though it had a hook for hanging a coat etc.

Sorry - got that wrong! - its the side with chamfered panels that has had what looks like a clothes hook or something similar.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that JobandKnock. So the chamfered panels face into the kitchen.

I should have said it is an internal door - probably from a bedroom.

I did think it might be the other way since the side with the square edge panels looks as though it had a hook for hanging a coat etc.
Raised panel = bevel edged/"chamfered" side

Ok so raised panel side faces kitchen. I wouldn't normally fuss over something like this but it is a period house and I would like it done the traditional way!

Ok so raised panel side faces kitchen. I wouldn't normally fuss over something like this but it is a period house and I would like it done the traditional way!
Nope! The "face" or "fancy" side of a door normally faces into the hallway/public area of a house with the "plain" side inside the room. Generally when you make up a door the raised panel is on the same side as any beaded surround and the flat panel normally has just a plain profile around. I'm beginning to womder if the panel has been assembled wrong way round in your door.

So in my case the public area is the kitchen. The utility room is entered from the kitchen. The plain side of the door is inside the utility room and the fancy side is on show in the kitchen. If thats correct then the door will hang exactly the direction I want.

The door is from a period house in Bury St Edmunds. I think it must be an old door it has never had beading around the panels.

So in my case the public area is the kitchen. The utility room is entered from the kitchen. The plain side of the door is inside the utility room and the fancy side is on show in the kitchen. If thats correct then the door will hang exactly the direction I want.
In that case it sounds right

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back