which window board is best?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
need to fit a window sill to our kitchen and am getting in a right old muddle as to what to use. I thought I had it sussed with bullnosed foam board but got it home and offered it up and it looks rubbish IMO (not flat, not shiny, scuff marks from the manufacturing process) so thats a quick £42 gone!

Then bought a lightweight bullnosed plastic sill 25mm thick with honey comb centre in white plastic but when collecting from warehouse, I noticed its textured so gave it back.

Would prefer gloss white finish but now read that this scratches easily otherwise I would buy 9mm UPVC with hockey stick front edge and laminate it to a board .

. Dont like painted MDF as hand brushed finish doesnt look good enough. Kitchen refurb is smartly done so want something that looks good!

any comments welcome:)

Sponsored Links
A pine window board from your local wood yard is best, but takes longer to install and paint. All the other options are quicker, but prone to marking more easily.

When painting wood or mdf, rub down between coats with 240 grade.

no one a fan of plastic here then :)

trouble with paint is it needs to be water based if white otherwise it will yellow? water based paint doesnt equal a nice finish on a flat surface well not with my brush anyway! maybe apply with a roller??

now reading elsewhere that white gloss plastic marks easily. That said we have them throughout the house and I've never noticed them to be tatty...

Sponsored Links
There was a bad batch of Dulux oils based gloss a few years ago that yellowed badly, but in the main, it's okay. I've got jobs done 10/12 years ago that are still fine.

One day, I'll try painting a plastic window board, and see how that comes out.

There was a bad batch of Dulux oils based gloss a few years ago that yellowed badly, but in the main, it's okay. I've got jobs done 10/12 years ago that are still fine.

One day, I'll try painting a plastic window board, and see how that comes out.

The modern gloss's are rubbish, The EU banned all the chemicals that made them stay white and finish well. Best option nowadays is water based but they are not as hard wearing. I'm no expert but there are lots of posts on the painters forum about it.

If it's in the kitchen, tile it to match the walls or floor.

Or if you happen to have an off-cut of worktop of splashback that may do the job....

Always use a roller for a brush free finish, fine bristle works best but hard to find, mohair next best.

thanks for all the a advice, still undecided:)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back