Window boards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I'm replacing my broken window boards with Mdf stuff

problem I'm having is how so I finish off the end or returnn so that it is "bullnosed" as well?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Use a plane.....http://toolmonger.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/groz-plane.jpg

Or some coarse sandpaper....http://www.sotabrasives.com/sandpaper.jpg

Simples ;)

Plane and sandpaper will take too long, and the MDF will soon blunt the plane blade. Best bet is to use a router with an appropriate bit to roundover the end - hire one if you're not going to get the use out of it, or buy a cheapo one from the sheds.

Do you have a sander? If so a quick go with 80 then 120 will see it done in a jiffy, even doing it by hand won't take long.

I won't even mention going and hiring/ buying a router to do something this small? are you insane?

Sponsored Links
Plane and sandpaper will take too long, and the MDF will soon blunt the plane blade. Best bet is to use a router with an appropriate bit to roundover the end - hire one if you're not going to get the use out of it, or buy a cheapo one from the sheds.

Are you mad, hiring a router + you'll have to buy a round over bit too when it'll take 5 mins with sandpaper

Suggestions have been asked for, and provided. There's no mention of how many boards there are to do, and whether the boards have yet been fitted.

The decision on which route to take will depend on the OP's skill level, available money/tools/time, and whether a DIY or professional finish is required.

The decision on which route to take will depend on the OP's skill level, available money/tools/time, and whether a DIY or professional finish is required.

Precisely, thats why i suggested the fool proof method and for professional finish......its only 30/40mm, you can hardly make a mess of it can you

I always use a small hand plane and sandpaper. It takes minutes.

You place a pencil mark on the return about 10mm in from the edge, top and bottom. This mark is the stopping point of the plane, i.e. where the nosing curve will finish. You simply plane the material away until you have formed a crude curve. The sandpaper will take care of the rest.

It does not blunt the plane.

If you have cut the window board correct, i.e. about 45mm protrusion past the reveals, then there is usually only a short bit to do each end. I agree, there are scenarios like door/window combi's that will require the full width of the board to be planed but it still only takes minutes with a sharp plane.

you can even do this with a chisel and some glass paper,if there are a large ammount to do then of course the hand plane will need sharpening a few times.mdf does have the tendancy to dull edges.

hi all

sorry for late reply

I have a router so i think that will be the best bet

thanks all for the advice

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back