Which wire/pipe/stud detector?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was doing a job today were I really needed one of these, as I couldn't find a cable free space in the wall to get a fixing. Next week I'm also putting down a ply overlay on a bathroom floor, so it would be handy to detect any copper pipes.

These tools range from £13 to £68 for a Bosch DMF 10 ZOOM. I do like Bosch stuff, and generally always now buy Bosch tools. However, £70 is a rather lot of money for a tool that will only get used once a month or so. I don't mind spending more for something that works and is worth it. Good tools are a long term investment.
I do want something that works and is accurate. Or is that asking too much for these. I used to have a cheap Draper one, but it was so vague I never trusted it.
Anyone got any advice on which detector? The Stanley Intellisensor Pro might be a good comprise. Is this any good?

Sponsored Links
Have a look on the bay, you can pick up the DMF 10 for about 40 notes.

I have a bosch dmf 10 zoom. It was actually bought for me as a gift, but its a damn good piece of kit. Highly recommended. Admittedly I don't use it that often, but when you need it its top notch. Although, don't do what I did and test it in your house, cos now im contemplating digging into walls to see what it is thats in there :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Tried a few different stud/metal detectors over the years, only advice I'd give is try before you buy! extensively! And if you find one that really works let me know...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back