Which wood for decking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Eventually I am getting around to starting my decking project but having a bit of a dilemma regarding which wood to use for the deck boards.

I've been looking for something a little different to the norm, probably hardwood, fairly clean and contemporary looking. Also I was looking for a more 'local' timber (i.e. not shipped halfway around the world).

However, I'm really struggling. My initial plan was to go for some European oak boards but I believe that the checking and splitting can become a problem? My next though was perhaps Southern Yellow Pine - looks nice but is obviously a preserved softwood.

Does anyone have any views or recommendations on good timbers for decking. I know it all comes down to personal choice but any recommendations would be appreciated.

Many thanks,

Damian

Sponsored Links
Thanks Guys,

My initial thoughts on western red cedar is that it is very red and didn't want something so strong coloured.

However, looking at some of the pictures on the web, it actually doesn't look that red and there seems to a nice mix of boards, some with paler tones. Is it generally all heartwood available over here and preservative free?

Couple more questions - anyone know a good supplier of western red cedar in the West Midlands? Also, any recommendations on what the frame should be constructed out of (i.e. stick with cedar or go for a cheaper preserved softwood)? And if I was going to put the boards at 45 deg, would it be best to use 45 deg joist hangers and put the joists square to the boards.

Just spending some time getting the design and measurements right!

Many thanks as ever.

Damian

Sponsored Links
ceder will weather and turn a lighter colour with age.

If you place the boards at 45 degress then you will need to lay the joists out at 45 degress in the opposite direction. to do this you will have to mitre the ends and screw or nail them to the outer frame. You dont get 45 degree joist hangers.

Have a look at this site which has some good advice.

http://www.richardburbidge.co.uk/PDF/Decking Fitting.pdf

Hi,

Thanks for all the replies - I am going to with the Western Red Cedar.

Just preparing the design to work out how much timber I will need and have made my first mistake - I measured 400mm spacing between joists to be placed at 45 deg. along the frame which meant the joists were at around 280mm centres (should be solid enough!).

Anyway, I'm sure I will other lessons to learn as I go along so appreciate any advice you will have to my questions (hopefully not too many though).

Many thanks,

Damian

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back