Which wood under lino covering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I will be putting lino flooring down in my bathroom. The floor boards are not perfectly even, so I am going to put down some wood first. Just wondering what is the best option and what mm would be ideal. Plywood or mdf? Only plywood I can see on B&Q and Wickes sites, looks very think 18mm. What is the best option?

Sponsored Links
either hardboard or 4mm plywood (plywood is prefered) fastened down with ring shank nails
your nails should be chosen so that they do not go all the way through your original floor (they will puncture pipes or damage wires)
You should nail at 150mm centres in all directions (you will need alot of nails!)
either wood option will cut easily with a sharp stanley blade.
what you are looking to achieve is a smooth bump free surface, so ensure all boards butt up to each other tightly

Thanks lymmranger.

Just wondering wouldn't ring shank nails damage the floor boards, When I need to remove the plywood at some stage?

not really, but....

........not using them will result in the boarding buckling or lifting

Sponsored Links
Ideally 6mm ply is preferrred, 4mm is too thin. And if your floor is really uneven 12mm or 18mm ply should be used. Why do you worry about holes in your original floor by ringshank nails? You are covering it arn't you ?

Sorry to hijack, but as I'm going to do the same thing, I hope you don't mind me using this thread. Can I ask how you go about cutting around the toilet and sink pedestal when using such large pieces of wood? Will I have to cut big 'U' shapes into the plywood, and then fill the space behind with smaller pieces of plywood? Also, I have chipboard flooring under the bathroom carpet. Is it still recommended to put plywood on top? Or could I put lino straight onto it?

Sorry to hijack, but as I'm going to do the same thing, I hope you don't mind me using this thread. Can I ask how you go about cutting around the toilet and sink pedestal when using such large pieces of wood? Will I have to cut big 'U' shapes into the plywood, and then fill the space behind with smaller pieces of plywood? Also, I have chipboard flooring under the bathroom carpet. Is it still recommended to put plywood on top? Or could I put lino straight onto it?

Always best to ply as if it's green chipboard it can cause discolouring of the vynal down the line..

First make a full template of the whole room useing cedar paper/ paper felt (make sure it dosen't move!!) then place on top of ply draw round it and cut it out with stanley knife.. Then cut the bits out from the back of toilet and sink and try to get it in in as bigger piece as you can to aviod joins in the ply.. Nail it down with 19mm ring shanks @ 150mm incriments..
I always use 6mm ply just find it a better finish and you could lay Karndean on it if you wanted..
Can I also suggest glueing the vynal down all over it will last twice as long and aviod stretch in the future..

Thanks for the advice nest. Will be using 6mm ply, as that's the thinest I can find around here.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back