While you're here can you just...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently quoted on a job to rebuild a small brick garden wall (2ft high x 6ft long) that the customer had knocked over. To save costs I agreed to re-use the existing bricks. Since this was a friend of a friend and not very well off, I gave a price of just £30.

Once I was on the job, I was asked to modify a garden fence. According to the customer, this was going to be a really easy job. The fence panels are to be left in place, and just the existing concrete posts need changing for wooden ones (she prefers the look of wood). I won't even have to do any digging as the previous fencers did that to fit the existing posts.

So all I need do is lift the concrete posts out of the set concrete (that they were planted in), and slip in the new wooden ones, and I don't even have to touch the panels, they're already in the right place :eek:

I did try to tell her that the posts don't come out of the concrete quite as easily as they went in, but she got the impression I was trying to bump the price up. She expects this job to be done for nothing, as it's such a minor thing. After all, I can keep the concrete posts and they're as good as new!

She's recons that this is about 20 minutes work, absolute tops. No way will she accept that any digging needs to be done. The last lot did that when they fitted the fence (about 6 months ago), she saw them do it, so it shouldn't need doing again so soon.

After being quite upset, because I don't want to do the job, she then asks me if I can let her have some wooden fence posts off the van and she'll get someone else to do the job. Now she thinks I'm a right tight ar se, because I told her I don't have any wooden fence posts on my van. Surely I must have wooden fence posts on the van, I'm a builder :eek:

I charged her £30 for a mornings work, including materials, yet she now thinks I'm a stingy, work shy, penny pincher. I'm also wasteful as I used NEW sand and cement on the wall and there was nothing wrong with the old mortar. She also complained that I hadn't asked her permission to throw away the old mortar. If I wasn't using it myself, I should have given her the opportunity to sell it on :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Surprised she didn't complain about using her tap water, surely you could have found a puddle somewhere ? Oh, BTW have you thrown all the old mortar away, I'd have paid good money for that ;) :LOL:

Eddie M said:
Oh, BTW have you thrown all the old mortar away, I'd have paid good money for that ;) :LOL:
Sorry, I did consider selling it on the black market as "ready mixed mortar", but I lost my bottle. Too many possibilities.

Since I had rebuilt the wall that had fallen down, I couldn't claim ignorance, to the fact that it was sub standard mortar. This could put me in trouble with the trading standards, or worse still, the buyer may send the boys round.

If my customer ever decides to make her complaint official, and the Special Branch are called in, they would doubtless discover that I had sold it on. I could then be charged with handling stolen property.

Since this mortar was stolen I wouldn't dare declare the procedes of it's sale to the taxman. I could, therefore, also be found guilty of Tax Evation.

In order to get it's full value on the black market I would have needed some new, empty Ready Mixed Mortar bags. As soon as you start making enquiries to obtain them, someone is bound to realise that you're up to something dodgy. Before you know it, you'd have undercover customs and excise officers following your every move.

Sorry, I dumped it down the local tip. It was packed in unmarked black plastic bags, and I think my hands were too dusty to leave a decent set of finger prints, so I think I got away with it. I'm a bit concerned that they may have CCTV at the tip. If anyone discovers this womans mortar at the tip, they may be able to trace me from my car number plate. In hindsight I should have used a stolen car to make the drop. Now I'll live the rest of my life worrying about a blackmail letter arriving from a council worker. :LOL:

Funny you should say that .I was offered some ready mix down the pub last week.I said no as I thought the P+P was a bit much coming all that way from Chile :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Thank you TexMex for giving me a laugh.

But are you sure you can't be done for conspiracy to supply??

BTW, in IT services I have been telling colleagues for years to watch out for the the phrase 'Can you just...' from a customer. It ALWAYS means they don't appreciate how much effort is required to 'just[' do something.

"While your here Can you just.. ". Yeah, bain of my life. I'm too soft by half. A few months ago, as a favour to one of my mates, I fitted a kitchen. (he was desperately overbooked). So I turned up the first day and ripped out all of the old kitchen in the morning. Since their new units hadn't turned up yet, that was as far as I could go.

Before I left they mentioned that they had some floor tiles and all the adhesive, and "would it be best to lay them before the kitchen units were put in". I agreed it would so "while I was there", I layed the floor tiles for them.

Next day I turned up, and the units had been delayed and weren't going to arrive for another day. so "while I was there", I grouted the floor tiles for them.

Next day, units turned up, so I fitted all the base units. Following day fitted all the wall units and worktops. Following day, fitted the cornice downlights and pelmet.

Next day turned up just to fit the oven and hob. (They hadn't arrived yet) So while I was there I just tiled the walls for them.

Next day, turned up fitted the oven and hob, and while the corgi guy was finishing off the plumbing, I grouted the wall tiles. Then just before I went, I just put a new light fitting up for them.

A couple of weeks later, I was chasing my mate for payment and apparently the customer was refusing to pay until I went back and put up a venitian blind for them :eek: However, they were so pleased with my work that they now want me to fit their new bathroom.

Not a chance. :)

Well congratulate yourself: you learned the lesson!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back