Whirlpool AWM1400 Washer - Will only drain

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone.

I have a whirlpool AWM1400 that stopped mid cycle, before it started to do its 1st rinse.
I have had a general poke about,
There is nothing stuck in the pump.
The belt is still intact.
I managed to set it onto a drain & it drained no problem.
After it had drained, I looked underneath, all looks OK
I then tried a spin, this worked. It finished a slow & then fast spin no problem.
I removed the washing, and tried a rinse. nothing.
Now I checked the pressure switch.
That seems OK clicks when you blow down the tube into the switch & its clear back into the drum.
When I set it to rinse it does not fill, the drum dont move.
The only thing it will do is drain.
I dont know if the problem is with the door sensor.
It does lock the door in place when its set to wash.
but you can drain with the door open.
There are 3 wires going to the door lock / sensor.
Can I connect 2 of them together to bypass the door closed sensor part, to check that its this bit thats faulty.

Sorry for the long post, I tried to give you all the info.

Many Thanks

Cookiez

Sponsored Links
You can indeed bypass the door interlock but if you join the wrong 2 wires you will do some expensive damage! If you have an electricians test screwdriver you may be able to test the operation of the existing interlock. If you detach the door seal from the cabinet and unscrew the interlock you can often pull it out far enough to operate it outside the machine. If you select a spin programme and switch on the machine (whilst taking extreme care!) you can determine which of the 3 wires is live using the test screwdriver. You then use the screwdriver to push the sliding plate across in the interlock, simulating shutting the door. The interlock should now lock and the test screwdriver should now show 2 of the wires to be live. If only 1 wire is live then the interlock has failed.

Thanks for the quick reply Fido.

If the interlock fails, how will I know what 2 wires to connect together.

Ta

Cookiez

Sponsored Links
If it locked the door and went through the spin cycle then the door interlock is working ok.
When it stopped mid cycle was it full of water or was it empty?
When you set it to a rinse or wash program do you hear a buzzing noise from the water inlet valve?
Power off and plug out before working on your appliance.

the interlock locks the door ok.

The machine had a little water left in when it stopped.
There is no sounds at all from the inlet vlaves, when set to rinse or wash.

the only thing the macine will do is drain.
it will do this even if the door is open.

I did order a new machine last week to replace this one, as needed a washer dryer. (not enough space for seperate dryer)
I was going to give this one to a mate.

Thanks for all your help

Cookiez

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back