Whirlpool AWO/D049 - taking in conditioner at the wrong time

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone

Have a Whirlpool AWD049 that consitently takes in the conditioner with the wash cycle and not the rinse cycle.

Whirlpool have looked at it and said that the problem is too much water pressure but this has been turned down to around 2-3 Bar.

Problem remains, and its annoying because the conditioner is basically being wasted and the wife is well and truly tee'd off.

I have removed and cleaned all hoses, and also taken the soap tray and housing out and flushed it thoroughly but cant seem to get this to work.

The machine is around 3 years old and works fine except this problem.

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Sponsored Links
Anyone got an idea if this is mechanical or electronic?

Saw a post in 2005/6 about a sense cable moving a pivot arm to direct water jet but doesnt seem to be anything like that on this machine or I cant see it.

I have flushed the soap box totally and water flows well through all holes , and all the gunge is gone but still get same result.

any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Sorry for a late reply....
Did you clean the nozzles in the roof of the soap compartment? These can get clogged, use an old tooth brush or similar & give it a good old clean. There is no mechanical arm on your soap dispenser, flow into the compartments is controlled by the inlet valves & dispenser box. If you use liquid washing detergent you may experience overfoaming & this could result in losing softener fluid prematurely. There have also been some recent modifications on this model because of overfoaming and pressure issues. The separator piece under the siphon lid in the softener was exchanged for a wider one on later models (the new separator has p/n 4812 418 89066). Changing this will help against overfoaming & premature siphoning. There were also problems in installations where higher water pressure was present (over 4 bar). As a workaround Whirlpool recommended removing the "red" flow limiter in the inlet valve & exchanging it with a yellow "modified" type (if you take off the supply hose to the machine & remove the sieve filter you'll see the flow limiter directly underneath). The original red flow limiter was rated at 8l per min, the yellow limiter is rated at 5.5l per min. The new modified flow limiter has p/n 4801 310 00098. Throttling down your supply would have a similar effect.
Approach the problem first by cleaning the roof of the soap dispenser. If that doesn't work change out the separator and/or flow limiter. Good luck :D

Thanks a lot - the help is much appreciated

I will take the soap box out again and give it another clean. I'm pretty sure it is as clean as new because I spent a lot of time running water through it until every small hole had a flow, but wont hurt to look again.

Then I will get a new limiter. The water pressure is pretty high, but I turned the inlet valve down to almost closed, so should be OK. Anyway a limiter will be cheaper than a new machine so worth a try.

I assume I can just get the part from Whirlpool parts suppliers or do I have to go to a specific outlet? I'm in London. :D

Yes just contact Whirlpool & they'll help you out, shouldn't cost much more than 10 pounds for everything. BTW if you are using liquid detergent try switching to powder first :idea:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back