Whirlpool bath

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am fitting the above in my own home and have been told it needs wiring to a rcd, i have a double socket nearby, first off can i replace the double socket with a double socket with built in rcd and plug (or hard wire) into this, and can i undertake this work myself or do i need a qualified spark to do it. Cheers.

Sponsored Links
A double socket nearby, in your bathroom?
How far from the bath will this socket be?

Also, no, don't plug your bath in. Do the job properly or not at all.

If you live in England or Wales, you'll need to notify this job to Building Control under Part P of the Building Regulations before you commence though it'll probably end up cheaper (and safer) for you to employ the services of a Competent Person who can register the job on your behalf.

if you hard wire into a double rcd socket ,the thing you have gard wired in will not be controlled by the rcd its only the sockets that wil be controlled by the rcd . i'm syre you understand what i'm saying

The bath needs to have a form of RCD protection, this can be achieved by using a spur from a circuit that already has RCD, a separate circuit that has an RCD or RCBO protection or an RCD protected fused connection unit.
So really needs to be hard wired. Because it's a bathroom or room with a bath in it, the installation is very likely to come under special location and needs to be notified.
As stated by GaryMo, but a can of worms could be opened, if the location of the feed is at the other side of the wall and routed straight under the bath. :?:

Sponsored Links
I am fitting the above in my own home and have been told it needs wiring to a rcd

Mine came fitted with an in-line RCD and 13A plug.

Can someone clarify: Is the space under the bath, behind the panel "out of zone"?

Frank

Can someone clarify: Is the space under the bath, behind the panel "out of zone"?

Can it be easily removed or is a tool required?

If it's accessible without a tool then Zone 1, if a tool is required then it's outside of any zone.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back