Whirlpool baths & zoning

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A whirlpool bath has an electric pump. This is housed under the bath behind a panel which requires a tool to remove. The regs state that this area is "out of zones". If this is the case, then, as far as I can interpret the regs, no RCD protection is required. Now, obviously, if I'm sitting in a bath of potentially "electrified water" I want RCD protection, and in my case, this will be provided by my consumer unit which has a 30mA RCD.

But is my interpretation of the regs correct? Surely, a pump under the bath, even if it is "outside zones", ought to be protected? Where am I going wrong?

Sponsored Links
The pump has been designed to be placed in those locations, same with showers. Supplementary bonding should be in place within the bathroom ie, hot & cold pipes, radiator, lighting circuit etc and "metal baths".

But if you feel that an RCD is required for the extra safety, happy days

Just speaking to my mate (a very good plumber) last night about this very topic.

He said he was yet to install a whirlpool bath that did not come supplied with an RCD. The RCD is usually fitted in zone0.

Out of interest, if you do fit an RCD in zone0, do you need to / is it worth installing a seperated isolator somewhere more convenient?

RegPrescott said:
The RCD is usually fitted in zone0.

Zone 0 is actually IN the bath - that is in the area which is capable of being fully immersed in water. I don't think you want your RCD in there.

Sponsored Links
RegPrescott said:
Zone 0 is in the bathtub itself :D Do you (or your plumber friend) really mean this?

You can't really fit the RCD under the tub (out of zones) because you can't get to it without a tool to take the bath panel off, and you can't just mount it on the wall somewhere else in the bathroom (at best, still likely to be in zone 3 and in any case, who would want a grey box on their bathroom wall). So where do the instructions suggest that you mount it?

You will need access to the rcd so how about an airing cupboard? (which is out of the zones).

il78 has a rare allergy to rcds when connected to bathrooms, and there seems to be no known antidote, but I'm working on it in my secret laboratory....ha, ha ha ha ha ha HA HA HA............!!!!!!!!

What's he going to do when the regulations finally catch up with modern technology and permit RCD protected sockets in bathrooms?

Some halfwit said:
:eek:

EEK! What a load of garbage! What was I thinking :oops:

I meant under the bath, out of zones.

At least you got a laugh.

securespark said:
il78 has a rare allergy to rcds when connected to bathrooms, and there seems to be no known antidote, but I'm working on it in my secret laboratory....ha, ha ha ha ha ha HA HA HA............!!!!!!!!

A few million ££££......will make me feel better Dr S Spark

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back