Whirlpool Dishwasher ADP 4500

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
2nd user machine but has worked OK for months. No instruction manual.

Today set it to run. Pressed 'ON' button. Green neon by 'Start' button started flashing and pressing the Start button has no effect.

What should I check or do? please

Sponsored Links
Press and hold the start button till the light goes out. Select a wash program, press start. If the start light begins flashing again count the flashes between pauses and post the result here.

Thank you such a prompt reply.

That worked, machine started by pumping out small amount of water but then hung, making quiet whurring noises but seemed to take in no water. After some time it stopped making a noise. I disconnected input hose and there is plenty of water pressure. Have also taken out and cleaned filter in the bottom of the inside. Seems almost as if, say, the relay to instruct water to enter has not functioned.
There is water leaking slowly out of the underside, not from the hose connection.
Any ideas

You have a flooded base. Tip the machine about 45 degrees backward and have towels around it, there'll be a fair bit of water comes out.
Then try the machine again.

Sponsored Links
Thank you again.
Before I saw your reply I tipped it fully on its side, and mopped up the water. I then took off the base to see what I could see and tapped a few things and pressed a few connections and it worked.

There is a quite large opaque vessel (in the back left corner) into which the incoming mains water seems to go. This container is half full of merky coloured water. Should it be there or should I get it out.

When machine ran I hung around to keep an eye on it. It washed for a while ( hearing the water being sprayed around ) but then it spent a long time ( half and hour or so) groaning but seemingly doing nothing. Then, when I was about to turn it off it discharged the water. I then left it to it assuming it would go into heated drying mode - which presumably happened because this morning the contents we clean and dry.

Any idea about the long period of groaning - as if it ws trying to do something but couldn't - note fluctuated and the merky water?

Your help is invaluable - thanks

Oh dear, such a lot of questions there.
The water management system (large plastic thing on left hand side) has a water softener unit, this is what look murky, through which your water goes through before entering the machine. The softened water leaves this part and enters your machine. The machine will then go through a pre wash rinse, empty, fill again and do a main wash. It then does a cold rinse followed by an extremely hot rinse. The water will again be discharged and the machine waits for a pre-determined period while the crockery dries using residual heat. The heater is not used to dry the crockery. This is why plastic doesn't dry, it doesn't retain heat very well.
Finally it will flush the water softener unit with salt water and pump the contents out. This is why you should still put salt in the reservoir of your dishwasher, 3,4 or 5 in tablets which contain "salt" cannot flush out the water softener. You can't overdose the machine with salt as the salt never gets to the crockery.

As to the groaning noise, when you had the base off did you notice if the wash pump was a large black unit or a silver one? If it's the large black one (Askoll pump) this will be the cause. High failure rate with them.

Gosh, what a knowledgeable person you are.

I have been using tablets and not topping up the salt so I will now do that. I hadn't done because the 'salt' neon had not come on. Your point is reinforced by my discovering that the base of the inside was covered by a slimey film and the dishes that came out this time were not all totally clean.

Thanks for the tip on the motor. I have now reassembled and do not recall which colour it was but I do not remember seeing anything silver.

Thanks again for all your help.

I have a ADP 4500 dishwasher as well and it will start for about 5 minutes then stop and flash 2 times pause and repeat. I have to turn it off and restart it at least 4 times before it will run the whole cycle. I have no manual to look up what to do, as the base housing office didn't seem it was necessary to give us one. Any help will be appreicated.

A repeating sequence of 2 flashes means there is an internal leak & the antiflood device has been activated. Lean the dishwasher forward (or back) & see if water runs out...have some old towels ready! Once the water is off the baseplate you ought to be able to restart it. But if it happens again anytime soon you'll need to track down the source of the leak.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back