Whirlpool drum bearing repair?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have an old Whirlpool washing machine. Not sure of the model but it's about 12 years old.

I think the rear drum bearing has gone as it makes a loud squealing sound which increases/decreases in volume depending on the speed of the drum. Also, when you manually spin the drum you can hear a grinding/ticking sound at the rear centre of the drum.

My questions are:

1. Does my description sound like a bearing fault/failure?

2. - Is it worth my time/money repairing given it's age or should I splash out on a new machine?

3. If it is worth my time/money to repair is it a complicated/time consuming job to remove/replace the bearing?

Any advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Does sound like it could be bearings , remove back panel and you should be able to see bearing behind spider [the big wheel the belt sits on] often signs of small dribbles of water from the bearing area when badly warn.
Removal can be a problem if rusted in and if you damage the seating the new bearings may leak so it depends on experience and how cheap you can get replacement bearings.I used to do my old hotpoint machines and got the bearings for about £12 a set but that was a few years ago and I knew the supplier and got them trade.

Thanks Foxhole

The model number is W100 (service 857086615050).

I've looked online and can get a bearing kit for about £60 incl. vat + delivery (not trade price) espares.co.uk seem to be the cheapest.

When I've got time I'll take a look to see if there's any corrosion etc but will probably buy a new machine, I think 12 years daily use for an appliance is a pretty good innings!!

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back