Whirlpool fridge repair

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Whirlpool fridge model ARC4190IX. It has a freezer compartment at the top and a main fridge at the bottom.

It has an LCD display and some buttons on the freezer door at the top. You can set the temperatures of the freezer and the fridge separately, and electronically.

It has never worked properly with the LCD sometimes showing rubbish, beeping and needing a power off and on to get it to work again. It did however maintain good temperatures as measured on multiple occasions with electronic thermometers (-24 C and around 3 C ) .

Recently the LCD has been displaying more rubbish than usual and the fans have stopped working, or have been working very erratically.

I have decided to look at the control board to see if there is something obvious that could be repaired.

The freezer compartment has a fan and a thermostat (an NTC resistor). The main compartment has a large console at the back that houses 2 lights, another fan and another thermostat (an NTC resistor).

The back and the front of the fridge are completely sealed welded shut, no screws or rivets. At the back and the very bottom there is an exposed space that contains the compressor and the control unit. The control unit is inside a plastic box for protection.

The control unit communicates with the fridge with two wire looms which disappear through two small holes into the back of the fridge. There is almost no play on those wire looms, I cannot pull the control unit out more than about an inches if that.

Similarly, the internal console that houses the two lights and the fan, I have taken its mounting screws out, and it also has a few wires disappearing into the back of the fridge through a small hole. Again, no play on the wires there, impossible to remove the console.

Those little holes through which those wires disappear have some sort of stress relief rubber, but it is more like a glue, sealed hard, tried to prise one off and could not. Of course I could if I were to pull really hard but this action may cause damage to the wires passing through.

It appears those rubber things have bene put in place to seal the inside of the fridge completely so as not to lose any cool.

In the meantime I do not know how to pull the control unit or the console out, as there is no play in their connecting wires. I have pulled gently on the wires and there is no hidden length inside, they are very firmly glued and/or have no extra length inside at all.

Any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back