Whirlpool G2P Integrated Dishwasher

Following last night's test...

It went through a complete cycle without me prodding any buttons. It opened the powder compartment OK but about half the powder was left inside the compartment. It failed to wash the dishes at all... probably 10% of the crumbs etc were washed off and left in the base of the washer.

So... I don't think the washer motor ever got turned on...

Equally strange, there is a lot of condensation inside the machine, as if the dryer never got started either.

It looks like: it let the water in, flipped open the soap compartment, pumped the water out and finished. Probably gaps in between each stage.

Perhaps I should add this machine has probably been used less than a total of 100 times since new.

The last time it worked was 1st week December and then next time, 1st week February it performed exactly the same as last night.

Do you think it is reasonable to deduce a faulty pcb is probably the cause of my problems?

Sponsored Links
Nope. My money is on the wash pump being at fault.
Check the spray arms for blockages too.

Oh... your advice is the opposite of my thoughts...

The spray arms are not blocked.

Obviously while you know loads more than I do about these wretched machines, the pump worked perfectly when I hot wired it so I don't really understand how it can be the cause of the problem...

Equally well... with a replacement pcb costing £78 I don't to buy a pcb if it isn't the cause of my problem.

Is there any other test I can do that would help identify the cause of my problem?

As always, many thanks for all your input, ideas, knowledge and experience.

Half the powder left in the dispenser means there's not enough water being sprayed to wash it out. The Askoll pumps are notorious for failing.
Check that the pipe feeding the top spray arm hasn't popped out of the socket behind the filter.
Start a program and as soon as it starts to wash, open the door. Check the level of the water and set the spray arms so that they are front to back, close the door and listen for the "swishing". Open the door and see if the spray arms are rotating freely. If it's not pumping the water through the system at all then I'd agree that the pcb is likely to be the cause.
During the test wash, open the door and check to see it's heating the water.

Sponsored Links
Water filled to a reasonable depth. All three arms aligned front-back. Waited. No swishing sound. Arms haven't moved at all.

I'm going to bet on the pcb. Assuming Whirlpool can delivery within ten days to the UK then I'll have the part here on Friday 16th March... I'll send you an update as soon as I have worked out how to pop the board out.

Many many thanks... please check back in two weeks for a news update!

Bye/P
PS: I propose to give you half a million pounds as a "thank you"... more news on this next week...

If it's an integrated dishwasher with the pcb in the door you need to take the decor door off first, then take the screws out of the plastic top panel, you should be able to pop this panel off enough to change the pcb.
Two round discs on the front of the panel hold it in place, prise these out a little (don't break them) and slide the pcb sideways, it will then lift out. (Older models have a couple of screws holding the pcb in place and older still have a pcb on the base of the machine).
Watch your hands and fingers when it's apart, the metal work is like razor blades.

Thanks for your further advice.

Now here is a £5 million thankyou.

Dear HM Ispector of Taxes.

I have just agreed to give Sleephead £3 (three pounds) and we have agreed to create a one-off syndicate for the Euro Lottery next week. We have agreed in advance to share the winnings 50:50 so the only Capital Transfer Tax due is on the original £3 gift, not on the winnings. Here are the numbers

EuroMillions Ticket No. 422202917

Purchase Date and Time 3 Mar 2007 at 09:48
A 07 18 33 41 49 07 08 Lucky Dip
B 08 13 22 34 44 01 07 Lucky Dip
C 07 37 42 46 47 01 06 Lucky Dip
D 03 04 11 37 42 03 06 Lucky Dip

Dates Friday 9 Mar 2007

Purchase amount £6

This Agreement is a Legally binding document and with the possible winnings of £10 million, this means Sleepyhead and I will (hopefully) be sharing £5 million each, net of tax.

As I said... thanks for your continued help...

Replacement pcb arrived in UK and will be here on Thursday. I'll let you know if it solves the problem. In the mean time... keep all jobs...

OK. I've just replaced the PCB and all appears fine. Solved. Sorted. Bingo. Fantastic. Thank you.

So here is a £13.5 million thank you Mr or Mrs Sleephead. Sames rules as last time. So... Mr Taxman you get 40% of the £3 present not 40% of the winnings.

EuroMillions
EuroMillions
Ticket number 428997210
Purchase date and time
Wed, 21 Mar 2007 at 19:40
Lucky Stars
A 05 10 34 42 49 05 08 LD
B 11 18 20 41 42 05 08 LD
C 18 21 26 28 49 05 07 LD
D 12 13 14 39 46 04 09 LD
Purchase amount: £6.00

Thank you for all your help. Please let me know when you are coming out to Dominica!

Well done. :D
It's hard enough to get it right when you're working on the actual machine so it must have been a nightmare trying to diagnose when you've never worked on them before.
I'll keep my fingers crossed for the next draw.
My wife says that we'll be in Dominica next week :p
As you still have the old pcb it would be worth removing it from it's plastic container and having a look see if it can be repaired cheaply or even just to see what damage there is to it.

That is an understatement... it was a mega nightmare!

However... at the end of this... I now understand that a dish washer isn't the magic I had always assumed. Instead I now know it is a cheap metal box, with sharp edges, it has a motorised valve to let water in, a pump to let water out, a pump to wash the plates, a heater and a PCB. And that's about it. Oh yes... and loads of wire going everywhere.

The truth is our last month of chatting shows some of the power of the internet, so I, in turn, will try to help someone else.

Anyway: keep everything crossed for tomorrow night and start planning how you are going to spend your half of the £27m we are almost guaranteed to win...

Well... I did say "almost"... sadly we didn't win. It must be fixed. (Pun intended).

OK... Sleepyhead... It's 'bye' from me and ... seriously... thank you for your help.

Oh yes... and please say "hi" to Mrs Sleepyhead and tell her that I think you are a Star.

Bye/Balvine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back