Whirlpool Washer NO SPIN AWM822

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a whirlpool AWM822 Washing Machine. The machine washes fine, aggetates fine and drains fine, though it will not spin! I initially thought it may be the load so I tried both a half load and no load at all. Both times the machine emptied fine but never spun. I have inspected the filter 3 times and removed the large drain nozel (the one attached to the drum) to check for blockages though there is none. Can anyone help? I am assuming it may be the brushes though would be grateful of any advice before attempting to change them. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
On these earlier whirlpool models with the mechanical programmers there is a separate motor control pcb. it is mounted at the right hand side below the door lock and is mounted in a plastic cradle attached to the right hand side of the front of the machine. Access is front off, two securing screws to the cabinet and pcb slides out of the cradle. When the pcb is out you will find a small transformer mounted on the pcb and a very common fault is one of the pins of the transformer is dry jointed it will be easy to see. resolder and you should regain motor power. This fault was far more common than motor or brushes.

Hi tockworth, thanks for the reply! I have took the front off, apart from the drum seal. In have removed what I thought is the pcb although I am now having doubts. What I have removed is what locks the door as I thought this is what you where talking about. It has three wires and the centre one was loose. i can easily relplace it so thats not a problem. What does a pcb look like? What does pcb stand for? Thanks Stranton. :D

Hi again, right found pcb and on initial assesment it looks fine! I have also removed the brushes from the motor, there is about 10-12mm of length on them, is that ok or not?

Sponsored Links
pcb stands for printed circuit board this is the panel which is mounted in the plastic cradle with electronic components on it. You must press down the plastic holding barb clips and slide the board out.Examine the underside of the panel and I am sure you will find one of the solder connections will be slightly burned/charred this is caused by a dry joint (cracked poor solder connection) and the remedy is to scrape/clean the burnt solder connection and resolder the joint. You cannot see this connection or work on it unless you slide out the pcb.I would be surprised if you found it was the motor as 9 out 10 no spin problemson this model I found this to be the pcb fault.However if you have examined the pcb and there are no signs of a dry joint then yes look to the motor or brushes.

I have took the PCB back out and gave it to my father in law to inspect as he is an electronics engineer. the brushes, like I said have about 10 mm on them so i will replace them. I'll keep you informed. Thanks for taking the time to reply to my post it is really appreciated, Stranton

:D :D :D Just thought I'd update you. I could not see any evidence of dry jointing on the PCB but had a spot of solder put on every contact anyway. I was told by a store not to change the brushes as they where fine. Put everything back together and weh hey its spinning again. Tockworth you right (as you probably knew) there was a dry joint in there somewhere. Finding this site has taught me that the internet can be used for other things and not just the delights of free naked women. Thanks Stranton. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Thanks to Tockworth's excellent guide i have just fixed my Whirlpool AWM822 washing machine.

It was a dry joint on the PCB motor control just as he suggested.

Saved me from expensive engineer repairs or buying a new washing machine.

It took me only 20 minutes as i cheated and managed to access the PCB from the rear of the machine (just removed the 4 screws holding the tin back plate cover).

I then wrenched the PCB away from it's housing and removed all the wiring to the PCB (2 single wires and 1 strip connector) and removed the PCB for examination with a magnifyting glass.

Sure enough - it was a dry joint on one pin of the transformer.

Can't thank you enough Tuckworth as money is tight at the moment and i couldn't have afforded the repair or replacement.

Looks like the internet is really more useful then looking at naked women - LOL.

Well thanks for that sniggles I actually posted that six years ago one month after I retired hence I no longer contribute to this forum but I am pleased it was of some help and also good on you for keeping this machine in good working order I know how old it is from the model number. Pity the masses did not do the same then our landfills would not be overflowing with a majority of repairable equipment.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back