Whistling DG Windows – any idea on sealant type

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Moved into a new house a few months ago and the double glazing units which are only about 5 years old are whistling merrily in the wind. Several windows are noisy. Some incredibly so. We thought we had bees / wasps in the bedroom wall for a while but then I started looking and it is obviously the window itself. Several bedrooms scream away - rather annoying.

I tried taping the windows up inside thinking it was the window seals but that didn’t make any difference. I also tried pushing and pulling the windows but again it didn’t make much difference. If I push and almost vibrate the unit the noise changes slightly but never goes away when the wind blows.
I am sure it is the seal between the unit and the wall (externally) as several of the units have a thin strip of weathered and cracked brown sealant with gaps between the wall and frame so wind must be getting in! Not sure if it has just dried and shrunk or was badly fitted.
Windows seem OK but I have the receipt and the price looks “very competitive” as in quite cheap so maybe they skimped on the final sealant??

Anyway I I was going to strip the sealant away and fill the gap with expanding foam if there is space or just use loads of sealant and then finish with sealant.
(My office window is singing in the wind while I type this!)

So apart from wondering if anyone else cured this problem in the same or similar way, what sealant / expanding foam do I need to get?

Cheers

macker6464

Sponsored Links
I have mentioned this before and have given it a name 'reeding'. Kinda in a similar way that a reed in a musical instrument works or when as a kid you create a similar effect with dry grass etc.

A good quality silicone (Soudal - low mod' neutral cure) is a start. Also, using masking tape at the edges is a good idea as it prevents the silicone from thinning out too much, as it meets the frame.

Finally, if there is a large fitting gap behind the existing silicone, apply foam and allow to cure before applying silicone.

A good quality silicone (Soudal - low mod' neutral cure) is a start.

Cheers for that info. I will get some Soudal Silirub 2 Professional Silicone Sealant Low Modulus Neutral Cure ordered and then have a go. I will update on my progress as I haven't seen anyone state they solved their whistling issues so could be useful to someone.

You are dead right with the reed thing - it does sound like an instrument!

I had this problem with a newly installed window.

Long story short. It was the window - it had come slightly loose. The windows were screwed to batons and the batons screwed to the brickwork. To close the window, I would pull myself up using the window. SO over time, my weight caused it to come loose.

Rang window installers to remedy. They got their expanding foam gun out and blitzed it. Never heard a whistle since. (plus I dont pull myself up using the window either) :D

Sponsored Links
Never heard a whistle since. :D

I am hoping to say that one day too! Glad it got sorted. I still haven't sorted my whistles out but had more pressing matters like leaking dry room shower floor - all fixed now.

A friend tried to diagnose the problem with my whistling windows this weekend and eventually concluded the same as this forum... I will invest in my Silirub materials and get cracking soon hopefully. Then I want it to be very windy to test it!

Cheers ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back