White Asbestos Packing to Window Boards ? Help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help, in trying to remove existing window boards in a 1970's ex local autority house, i've come across some white fibrous packing (see IMAG0003 in my album) that rests between the underside of the window boards and top of timber grounds.....i was having trouble removing the lost headed nail from the top and thought i'd core drill them out......but spotted this white packing....

i know we have an asbesetos tank in the loft (as the council have wrapped it up with warning tape when it was decomissioned) but does anyone know if white asbestos packing was used in such cases.....are there any easy tests one can do ?[/b][/code]

Sponsored Links
hi.

Difficult to tell from the picture, but it appears to be one piece of what may be Asbestos? What i am saying from what can be seen, using copy and paste into Windows picturer manager then zooming in it is as if there is only a single piece in the cavity?

In those days when the property was built the labour force would use whatever came to hand to complete a job, as long as it was not visible then that was OK.

if I am correct and it is only one bit, you can leave well alone, in effect "encapsulate it" by sealing it in and not moving it, this is a recognized way of dealing with Asbestos related products. Drawback is that on selling the property you should really tell the next owner of its presence, if you remember when you do eventually come to sell

one way of finding out if the properties around you and indeed more especially yours had Asbestos in the Cavities would be to ask the Local Authority if they knew of any other Asbestos hazards in the house, if you ask along the lines of having concerns about the presence of more Asbestos other than the Tank that the Local Authority have identified and dealt with after a fashion.

As an aside i do not think that the Local Authority would get away with wrapping and leaving the tank in-situ today.

If it is and it look's like it,you (surprisingly or not) if you are just an householder are not covered by any regs regarding the removal only the disposal of it.

Sponsored Links
thanks for the replies...though in order to remove these window boards it looks as if i will to to touch/remove them...from reading online white asbestos is low risk (comparitively) and using mask and gloves should be ok,....though im worried about drilling throught the boards.

t.from reading online white asbestos is low risk (comparitively) and using mask and gloves should be ok,....though im worried about drilling throught the boards.

I'd include a disposable suit in that list as well.

Had another thought,

If the offending material is a one off, that is a single bit of Asbestos, it may be possible to push it down and out of the way?

If you get some wallpaper paste, mix it and apply liberally prior to trying to move the material then the Wall paper paste will itself encapsulate any fibres that escape during the push down move? even let it run down the sides of the material.

As above use protective gear, prior to removing it use wipes to remove the traces of the Asbestos, then dispose of the protective gear and the wipes

As has been posted yes you can move the material yourself, no legislation, however if you try to dispose of it not using a Licensed disposal method then you could be liable for a Very, Very substantial fine

if it will come out double bag it and take it to the rubbish dump, or just leave it where it is. everybody of my age was exposed to the stuff and i mean everybody.

It`s asbestos/cement board - not the nasty loose pipe lagging that I, and hundreds of other plumbers had occasional exposure to :eek: - So , I`m here @ 57 yrs old - when the posts stop you`ll know it`s got me ;)

car brake linings used to be Asbestos so anyone near a road was breathing that in

It`s asbestos/cement board - not the nasty loose pipe lagging that I, and hundreds of other plumbers had occasional exposure to :eek: - So , I`m here @ 57 yrs old - when the posts stop you`ll know it`s got me ;)

There was an maintainance electrician where I work who was exposed to the loose pipe lagging in a earlier career he never got to 65 so if its going to get you it will.

if it will come out double bag it and take it to the rubbish dump, or just leave it where it is. everybody of my age was exposed to the stuff and i mean everybody.
yes we were. and some of us know or rather knew people who died from mesothelioma.........
When asbestos is removed it is supposed to be disposed of safely, not just dumped in the rubbish. Duration of exposure doesn't really seem to make that much of a difference

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back