white matt on new ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have had 3 rooms replastered and have repainted (50;500thinned basecoat) with no problem except main bedroom ceiling looks patchy. Its made worse as I have alarge south facing window which goes nearly to ceiling height.

At first thought this was plaster showing through but have now put on 4 coats(Wickes trade comtract matt emulsion) and realise its differing texture using new medium pile roller. Paint probably contains lots of filler as it covers well but is thick. I tried to maintain uniform wet surface but difficult as it was warm and paint dried within 1 or 2 minutes

In desperation I've tried sanding it but now left with smooth areas and some areas with texture as its not dead flat

I'm thinking about using a fine roller and different paint but any advice would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Hi,
I'm thinking about using a fine roller and different paint but any advice would be much appreciated.
Despite what it may say on the tin, thin the paint; I don’t particularly like using rollers;
a) because, as you’ve found, the wall eventually ends up looking like watered down Artex &
b) every roller I’ve ever tried makes such a bloody mess everywhere that you have to cover everything up.

For many years I used nothing but large “Peter” mohair paint pads & never covered anything up as they didn’t make any mess but they haven’t had the original quality for many years now so I mainly brush.

First lesson learnt steer clear of wickes/B&Q/Homebase emulsion its c***! Use good branded trade vinyl matt only...
A chap I work with sometimes (well over 60 ;) ) wont touch rollers either, he does a cracking job by brush but it takes him as long to do one wall as I take to paint two rooms (which is why I dont employ him often?) Buy a good quality medium/long pile 12"-14" sleeve , cant say I ever leave any 'marks'9no-ones complained yet anyhow)
As Richard says, it will spray about a bit so cover well with sheets

First lesson learnt steer clear of wickes/B&Q/Homebase emulsion its c***! Use good branded trade vinyl matt only...

I've seen the Leyland/Johnstones truck making regular deliveries at Wickes. It's just badged paint. Nothing wrong with it.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back