White on bricks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all it’s the first winter in our new home its a 1970 ex council property we’ve been having some really heavy rain the last few weeks with strong winds and I’m just starting to notice white staining on the exterior brickwork walls are 50mm cavity and don’t seem to have any problems with dampness inside just wondering what is causing it and if they is anyway to rectify. I will add the house is currently not lived in as we are renovating thanks

Attachments

• A7605760-C137-4792-8976-D43D243F25B1.jpeg
    A7605760-C137-4792-8976-D43D243F25B1.jpeg
    327.9 KB · Views: 106
  • BE83D034-B11D-40C9-AC30-536E51D0A219.jpeg
    BE83D034-B11D-40C9-AC30-536E51D0A219.jpeg
    600.7 KB · Views: 104
Sponsored Links
Is that what’s causing the white on the bricks do you think? What would be the best mix to use for repointing in your opinion thanks

Do you think it will be ok for this winter as it’s not ideal conditions for repointing at the moment thanks

Sponsored Links
The white patches are likely salts deposited through efflorescence, it may have been going on for years, harmless AFAIK. Repointing may help but the salts are mostly contained in the brick.

Blup

So pointing should cure my problem? What is the best mix to use thanks

The recent rain has been drawn into the brick, absorbed the salt and the solution has been drawn to the surface. The water evaporates and the salt is left. I don't think it is a problem provided there is no other source of water ingress like a dripping gutter.

Woody will advise you on the correct mortar mix.

Blup

So pointing should cure my problem? What is the best mix to use thanks
No.

The poor pointing has exposed the brick arises which is a significant factor in walls efflorescing. You should also check for leaking gutters or verge above

You have the problem now for life, but repointing will normally stop it getting worse.

4:1 sand cement, but it's how the joint is finished which is important, not the mix.

Thank you what do you mean how the joint is finished how compressed and smooth it is? What would happen if it was lime mortar currently and not sand and cement thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back