White or sandstone grout?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having now wall tiled the small toilet, the time has come to grout them.

The tiles are mottled buff colour and I was expecting to use white grout because thats what used to be used.

However, Wickes has sandstone grout on special offer and so I just bought a small packet of white.

Is the current fashion to use sandstone colour grout with buff colour tiles or should a white be used to create a contrast?

Because grouting is very labour intensive why is it rarely supplied in tubes like filler?

Is it worth mixing if from the powder and putting it in a tube?

Tony

Sponsored Links
Personally i prefer white as a contract, but it is a personal preference. Whatever you do dont go too dark. I'd suggest ivory at the darkest. If the grout is darker than the tiles your eyes tend to notice the grout first.

On your second point, if you think grouting using a tube to squeeze it into each joint would be less labour intensive then chances are your doing it wrong!
Mix from a powder to a thick custard like consistency, use a squeegee to work the grout into the joints and across the face of the tiles at the same time - basically treat it like your grouting the wall not just the joints. Use the squeegee to clear off the excess and leave it to go firm/mist over (usually 15-20 minutes at most), then use a bucket of clean water and a sponge to remove it from the face of the tiles.

Once its dried to a mist (10-20 hours) use a dry cloth to remove the mist.

Lots of people try 'point' the joints using their finger or other little tools and it takes hours

I bought some of the sandstone and did a short test with white, white/sandstone 50-50 mix and sandstone!

Problem is that I cannot make any decision. Rather prefer the sandstone even though its a little darker than the tiles.

Will look again when its dry and perhaps take a photo!

Tony

Sponsored Links
If you go for a (natural) grout like sandstone, make sure you have enough to finish the job because colour can vary quite a bit if you have to buy more.

Also it is more difficult to use if you have a very small gap because it can be quite 'gritty'.

I think the Wickes stuff is only Sandstone colour?????

It certainly seems pretty fine and not gritty!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back