coloured grout top-up ok instead of re-grouting?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The downstairs flooring in our house is cream ceramic tiles with a relatively large gap of 7mm between tiles. It doesnt look like grout has been used between then, it looks more like fine cement - its grey and has a sandy texture, it is fully set in place though.

Cream tiles with grey filler looks naf, id like the filler to be cream. Can i use something like 'UniBond Waterproof Ready Mixed Coloured Grout Tube - Cream' or 'Evo Stik Tile A Wall Grout Revive Cream 125ml Tube' and simply 'paint' it over the top of the grey stuff? Should i then use a grout sealer so it stays in place/holds its colour?

Im trying to avoid the hassle of getting it all re-grouted.

Sponsored Links
Wide joint grout is cementitious so it will appear as a sandy texture & grout colour is a personal choice but grey is mostly used as doesn't look grubby & goes with most colours. You can get grout recolouring products but I’ve never used any of them so can’t advise how successful they might be but, personally, I would be dubious especially in a heavy traffic area. I would advise you to steer clear of cheap DIY products, they are mostly crap. The right way to do it is to rake out the gout joints & re-grout with a quality wide joint trade grout in the colour you want. I would advise you chose a darker contrasting colour, lighter grout colours get grubby very quickly, even with sealing & your tiles may look even worse than you think they do now.

Wide joint grout is cementitious so it will appear as a sandy texture & grout colour is a personal choice but grey is mostly used as doesn't look grubby & goes with most colours. You can get grout recolouring products but I’ve never used any of them so can’t advise how successful they might be but, personally, I would be dubious especially in a heavy traffic area. I would advise you to steer clear of cheap DIY products, they are mostly crap. The right way to do it is to rake out the gout joints & re-grout with a quality wide joint trade grout in the colour you want. I would advise you chose a darker contrasting colour, lighter grout colours get grubby very quickly, even with sealing & your tiles may look even worse than you think they do now.

Cheers.

Just wondering, whoever did the previous grouting managed to get it on some of the tiles - how do i get it off? ive tried scraping it but no luck as it really is set like concrete. Is there a specific product i can use?

Sponsored Links
Cement based grout sets like concrete because it basically is. Scouring pads, water & elbow grease but be careful you don’t scratch the tiles; avoid acid/chemical cleaners, they may etch the tile glaze.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back