White Paint Dilemma

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all - was hoping some kind folks could help me out.

I'm currently painting a large beige room white, which seemed a straight forward job (have painted countless rooms before!) This room connects to a newly built extension which I painted with Leyland Contract Matt from screwfix. That paint always seems to haev great reviews and is good value; but I did find it needed more coats than expected. What I had to remember is that it dried A LOT more opaque than it went on.

To avoid a mismatch in tone I've started using the same paint in the beige room, but I'm onto coat 2 and it still is so patchy. I just can't believe it would take so many coats to go over such a light colour. This room has suffered with damp in the past (have had a damp proofing treatment done) and I was always of the understanding this meant you should avoid vinyl paints, and instead go for paints that are marketed as being breathable, or for new plaster. So I gave up with the leyland and went for dulux supermatt (about 4x the price) and although it's a little better, it still seems I'll need about 4 coats over beige.

Is that normal? Do non-vinyl paints just have far less opacity, and is my assumption about vinyl paint and damp walls correct?

Thanks so much

Sponsored Links
I recently did a small ensuite in white that was a very light grey, I needed 4 coats of the Leyland.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back