White pasty stuff in hot water supply

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all

First post here, looking for some help. I’m in what was a new build 6 years ago and in that time has been problem free until the past 6 months when I’ve started getting white pasty gritty stuff in my hot water. It has several times clogged up the little filter at the hot inlet to my thermostatic bar shower, and has also clogged up an anti scald valve under the bath, and the aerator in the outlet to both sinks upstairs. Doesn’t seem to be an issue downstairs.

Does anyone have any idea what it is and how to permanently get rid of it. I had a plumber out a while back who had no idea what it was. Is it coming from the mega flow unvented tank, my boiler, or the pipe work itself?

see attached photo. Thanks!

Attachments

• C6C17C46-02F3-4FFA-B482-866F92D2A611.jpeg
    C6C17C46-02F3-4FFA-B482-866F92D2A611.jpeg
    207.9 KB · Views: 1,851
Sponsored Links
I have read that if the white plastic air separator fails in a megaflow you get this problem. I will try and find the old post.

Yes your megaflow air seperator is disintegrating, new cylinder required but as it is only six years old it might still be under warranty, be prepared for a fight though , they dont like admitting that is the fault

Sorry can't find the thread again but it sounds like ianmed knows about the problem too.

Sponsored Links
Thanks! I have arranged for a Megaflo engineer to inspect it next week, if it’s internal which it sounds like it is, they will refund the upfront repair charge and resolve under warranty. Fingers crossed.

Thanks! I have arranged for a Megaflo engineer to inspect it next week, if it’s internal which it sounds like it is, they will refund the upfront repair charge and resolve under warranty. Fingers crossed.
They should refund the upfront fee, but as said have heard of them offering free replacement cylinders but you have to pay to get someone to install it, sometimes they deny that is the fault, have heard of customers having to threaten court action before anything was done

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Hi

I have a Range Tribune HE unvented hot water cyclinder code TI210 that was installed in 2014 in a new build. I have full service record.

I have been experiencing problems similar to the OP in that in my hot water mixer taps and showers I’m finding white crystal / grit solids which are reducing flow. These build up every 2/3 weeks. Been happening for about 3months.

I’ve had a plumber round to look into but they weren’t sure what the problem was. It was suggested it could be a problem with the immersion heater (not used ever) but would he have to remove it to check. I think it must be something disintegrating within the system but not entirely sure what.

I’ve attached a schematic of the cyclinder from the manual and was wondering whether anyone could point out the specific part of Tribhne system this issue relates to - the OP’s issue was possibly degradation of the plastic air flow separator.

Has anyone had similar experience with this in a RANGE Tribune?

Sorry if this this stupid question but is the air flow separator a part that is contained inside the cylinder? I’m just trying to get an understanding of the issue before I contact Kingspan.

Also has anyone had any success in making a warranty claim against the manufacturer for such an issue - guarantee states 25 years for the “stainless steel inner vessel”.

Attachments

• 3F235540-8EF6-446E-8ECA-3F7ABC23AAE9.jpeg
    3F235540-8EF6-446E-8ECA-3F7ABC23AAE9.jpeg
    279.7 KB · Views: 291
When the cylinder water is heated the expansion of the water is accommodated with an external vessel as shown on the right of the diagram...an entirely different method to the Megaflos.
Test the crystals to see if it's limescale (do they fizz in acid) etc.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Hi

Thanks very much for your quick reply.
By way of update I had a call with the manufactures this am and they advised it is possibly plastic coming from a degraded cold water spreader located within the cylinder.

I hope not...sticking plastic pipes etc inside the cylinder and not telling us pretty deceitful.

Hi

Thanks very much for your quick reply.
By way of update I had a call with the manufactures this am and they advised it is possibly plastic coming from a degraded cold water spreader located within the cylinder.
What are they proposing to do about it ?

HC replaced under manufacturers warranty. Faulty spreader was the likely cause.

Kingspan were excellent - delivered and installed within two weeks of me contacting them about the issue.

All they needed was a picture of my up-to-date service history and I was then advised within a day I was getting a new HC. The guys who fitted were excellent( they also sorted out the duff effort the idiot Barratt plumbers had put in when the house was first built in 2014. The quality control and oversight that Barratts have of their sub contractors is absolutely shocking. Eg HC couldn’t be emptied via the draincock because the original fitter had carelessly melted the washer when soldering the joint. They fixed that issue as well as a few others that I’m too much of a layman to understand!

So far so good - no further issues with the white crystal crap blocking the tap and shower filters.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back