White satin paint yellowing super fast

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have recently updated our bathroom with new tiles etc. I painted the door with Wicks one coat satin white pant about two months back and after about 6 weeks parts of the paint on the door started to yellow, so a 8 days ago i repainted the door again, and looking at it this morning there is definitely a sign of the yellowing showing again. Is it the paint, should i use gloss, the skirtings and door framing look ok. The door is just a B & Q type fancy paneled type, only thing we hang on the door is a couple of bathrobes. Any advice on the problem would be appreciated, or any recommendations on a good quality white paint for bathrooms would be appreciated. I dont think its the batrobes, as we rarely use them in this hot weather

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I would use a water based satin instead as the oil based are prone to yellowing. Give the door a good sand then apply a acrylic under coat then one or two coats of satin. I like crown non drip satin. If you are less experienced then I would suggest finding a water based satin that drys a bit slower.

Lots of oil based paints do this. I think there was a big thing about Dulux ones going yellow. UV is supposed to keep them white for longer.

The only thin I would suggest is to switch of a water based paint as they are more stable (although I find the finish more difficult).

I live in an older house so I don't mind the slightly less white finish of slightly older oil based finishes.

Sponsored Links
As both the posters say it's a known problem with oil based paint, the sunlight keeps it white. Paint in an area that gets sunlight like a south facing window frame will stay white, while the same paint in a dark hallway will yellow quickly.

Dulux have improved their range so might be worth trying Satinwood, the trade formulation from a trade outlet will be a better bet than DIY.

Again as said water based will stay white but it's hard to get the same finish because of the fast drying time.

The robes on the door will be preventing what small amount of light there is in a room with obscured glass from reaching the paint.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back