White Substance on Roof Beams

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I went up to clear out some rubbish from our loft today and was horrified to see all this white powdery residue on some of the roof beams. :eek: Here are some photos I took while up there among the spiders....

WhiteMould2.jpg

WhiteMould3.jpg

WhiteMould1.jpg

TheresaholeinourroofNo1.jpg

We're due to have our roof stripped, refelted/retiled, new soffits/fascia/guttering and installation of a velux window carried out in 6 weeks time thankfully. :D

Basically I'm just wondering does this look like wet rot? The white powdery residue comes away (bit like paper mashe) and the wood underneath looks ok and isn't crumbling etc. I poked the wood with a screwdriver and it seems fine. I know water has been getting in and the damage is limited to one area of the loft.

We've had various quick fixes done to our roof while we saved up to have it redone but it looks like water's been getting in.

Any advice on what this might be or what to do next would be great.

Thanks.

Fiona

p.s. There isn't much ventillation in our roof (apart from the holes)!!!

Sponsored Links
Yes this looks very much like wet rot, unless someones been making cakes up there and smeared icing all over the beams :)

Wet rot is a generic term for a host of fungi.

It may be salts leeching out of the timber or some or other fungus or mould

But as the timber is not crazed or flaky then its not a problem, as this type of fungus will die off as soon as the source of excess moisture is removed

Sponsored Links
Yes this looks very much like wet rot, unless someones been making cakes up there and smeared icing all over the beams :)

Funny you should say that....that's what a I do for a living....make celebration cakes!!! :LOL: :LOL:

Thanks for the information guys, the company that are going to replace our roof are coming out next week to have a look just to make sure.

Fiona : )

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back