White Towel Rad - More BTU Than Chrome One Of Same Size????

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone tell me the reason for a white towel rail giving out hundreds more BTUs than a chrome one of the same size?

Eg. A 1500 X 600 towel rail in white gives 2839BTU, but the chrome version is only 1945BTU. A big difference just because of different finishes. Or, are the rails of different construction? There is a big difference in output between all white and chrome rails.

I must have been asleep at college when the reason for this anomaly was discussed. :oops:

Sponsored Links
Can anyone tell me the reason for a white towel rail giving out hundreds more BTUs than a chrome one of the same size?
It's all to do with the emissivity of the surface. If you point an IR thermometer at the white surface, it will register a higher temperature than the chrome surface, even if the water temperature is the same.

Didn't they teach you about black-body radiation?

Most paint finishes regardless of colour have high emissivities (.09 to 0.95) , but some metallic finishes can have much lower values unless used in conjunction with certain varnishes.

Eg. A 1500 X 600 towel rail in white gives 2839BTU, but the chrome version is only 1945BTU.
Are you sure those figures are correct :eek: I agree there will be some difference in emissive values between different finishes but I can’t see how it could possibly be as much as 30% like for like! :confused:

Sponsored Links
The best heated towel rail on the market is a standard towel rail (or 2) hung over a proper radiator. A warm towel is nice, but a warm room is better!

IMHO a fancy towel rail ONLY works if linked to UFH and with an electric heater for use in the warmer month (s) of summer.

Intriguing, and it's not a typo as it's the same on the Kudox website, and the larger version has similar differences - 1757BTU for white, 1177BTU for chrome. Got to admit I've never noticed that before. Does seem to be a theme though, just looked at another manufacturer's website and they also give much higher outputs for white than chrome.

Are you sure those figures are correct :eek: I agree there will be some difference in emissive values between different finishes but I can’t see how it could possibly be as much as 30% like for like! :confused:

Emissivity of Common Materials

Polished chrome = 0.058
Copper Polished = 0.023 to 0.052
Copper heated and covered with thick oxide layer = 0.78
Paint = 0.96

Emissivity of Common Materials

Polished chrome = 0.058
Copper Polished = 0.023 to 0.052
Copper heated and covered with thick oxide layer = 0.78
Paint = 0.96
Interesting, I did have a wee search but couldn’t find anything. I would never have though it would make so much difference & I’m a bloody qualified engineer. :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back