White Victorian woodwork yellowing after time

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Victorian home and notice the woodwork, much more so on the pitched pine doors and windows/frames is nowhere near the brilliant white it was at the time of application. Research online says it's the light which eventually turns white paints yellow but some of the non pitch pine woodwork, like newer doors and MDF cupboards I've built etc are still much whiter. Reviews from people say that oil based turns yellow and acrylic stays white but I'm sure I've used acrylic as well (was done 10 years ago now, although was noticeably 'not' as white after as soon as 6-8 months! I'm assuming it's the oils in the wood causing the yellowing? Any advise appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Various manufacturers promise non yellowing paint, but it is a problem with oil based paint exposed to the sunlight.

Try a good water based undercoat, several coats probably, and a water based white.

Blup

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back