white vs grey solvent waste pipe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This thread seemed to suggest that there was no difference.:
https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/what-is-difference-between-white-and-grey-40mm-waste-pipe.256885/
One suggested white was for interior use.

But like soil pipe types, is the grey not UV stable ? in my experience though and after 15 years of outside use - my 40mm solvent weld pipe doesn't seem any the worse, and white pipe on a white painted wall just looks better.

I understand for Soil pipes it is:
Brown underground
Gey internally
Black external above groundf.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
This thread seemed to suggest that there was no difference.

Agreed, no difference for solvent weld.

I understand for Soil pipes it is:
Brown underground
Gey internally
Black external above groundf

Orange/brown underground everything else above ground, internally or externally. Push fit can fade badly though if external.

white solvent pipe quality seems random these days. it discolours at a different rate to the fittings and in my experience degrades quicker than grey.
but that’s just my opinion.

As far as I'm aware, there's no difference with the above ground stuff, white is actually probably better above ground as it reflects some of the sun, which damages it. Abs/PVC does go brittle over time, best practice is to paint it with gloss paint to provide protection against sunlight.

Push fit disintegrates over time, looking at some of the stuff now on sites I visit, that is around 50 years old, the plastic is simply falling apart.

Sponsored Links
Push fit can fade badly though if external.
Is the solvent weld soil made from different plastic ?, I've not used solvent weld soil, sure I couldn't find much difference between that and push fit in the price.

Agreed, no difference for solvent weld.
If no difference then I'm surprised they haven't come up with a 'Magnolia' colour ... not that we need more stock to hold.

that is around 50 years old, the plastic is simply falling apart.

The UV rays from the sun must have done its stuff.

Last edited:
Push fit can fade badly though if external.
Is the solvent weld soil made from different plastic ?, I've not used solvent weld soil, sure I couldn't find much difference between that and push fit in the price.

Solvent weld waste is either ABS or PVC, push fit is Polypropylene. Both plastics have their inherent advantages, but polypropylene cannot be solvent welded.

Soil pipe is all PVC.

This scraped article:
https://www.servicethread.com/blog/the-uv-resistance-of-polypropylene-and-polyester-explained
states:
This makes polypropylene unsuitable for uses that require longterm exposure to sunlight.

So why use polypropene over PVC, I know Thames Water insist on clay still because its resistance to any type of chemical (and its lasts longer than years), at one site when rerouting soil pipes we detected a very strong odour of diesel, so people (shouldn't) put all sorts of stuff down drains.

Polypropylene has other properties, one of which is it copes with heat better, so for installations where a lot of hot water is being regularly discharged, it would be a preferred choice. Traps are usually polypropylene for that reason. It has never, to my knowledge, been used for underground pipework, plastic drainage is uPVC.

With regard to drainage, clay and plastic both have their fans, as well as their pros and cons. Clay will withstand chemical flows and jetting pressures a lot better, but for weight and ease of handling, plastic wins every time. You'd be amazed what finds its way into the sewers, from heating oil to cyanide....

I thought it was muPVC for external, abs and polypropylene are for internal or must be painted.

Interestingly, this thread has been posted today
Ummm just what you said.

Traps are usually polypropylene for that reason.
Its good to know this stuff.

muPVC
not heard of the 'm' ?, the 'u' is unplasticised.

Whilst we are on plastics, expanding foam in contact with T&E wirings insulation causes 'plasticiser migration', MDPE is polypropelene, do folk know if foam round MDPE is an issue ?

(I have previously been advised that MDPE is for underground use only - or duct it where above ground, to protect from UV - which concurs with the above)

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back