Whitewash Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello guys,

I'm hoping someone can help. I am about to redecorate my hall, stairs and landing.
It's an old (very old!) farm house, on the ceiling seems to be, what i guess is whitewash. When i ran my hand over it a white dust came off.

The question is, how do I paint over it? Do I have to seal it, if so what with? Or can I just emulsion straight over it?

Also, just one more thing! I've stripped back the old wallpaper off the walls and underneath is the old plaster, once again just guessing, it's horsehair etc. Can I just emulsion over that plaster or would that need to be sealed?

Many Thanks.
D

Sponsored Links
If it is just whitewash, and you can get if off with scraping and cold water, you are lucky.

However...

I fear the surface you have found might be distemper. You cannot successfully decorate onto it, you have to get it off. It will scrub off with hot (not cold) water due to the animal glue it is made with. You will notice the smell of glue when you get hot water on it.

It is a rotten job.

Sorry.

Yep...as the Ian Gillan song goes..'there aint no easy way'

As JohnD says..its got to come off..washing and scrubbing..I would wear goggles too its a killer if you get it in your eyes..

Once its off i'd give the ceiling a coat of thinned down dulux stain block or alkali resisting primer (also thinned) before you repaint.

If its a big ceiling and you dont fancy the washing down then you could always re coat it with the same stuff..farrow and ball make it, it dont come cheap, but you might want to weigh that up against all the scrubbing etc..

You may also want to think about the condition of the ceiling after..after all that sraping and digging it might have a lot of marks on the surface..in which case lining might be an option to make it look a bit more presentable.

Morning chaps,

Thanks for the quick response, much appreciated !
Looks as though i'll be rolling up my sleeves and using a fair bit of elbow grease!! :confused:

Thanks again,
D

Sponsored Links
it may be whitewash?

this was commonly used in farm buildings, barns, cattle sheds etc. it was made by mixing water with lime and painted onto the walls. it helped discourage bacteria and the like where animal waste would be prevalent.

knowing the old farmer, he thought if it's good enough for beast it's good enough for man. ;)

Yes..ive heard a lot of them work on that principle :evil: :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back