who answers for this mess?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We own a late Victorian terrace house which had its supply cable via a single cable stapled along the back wall some time between 1919 and 1966. Each house was served by a spur from this sole cable.

When our builder was putting our or extension across the back he identified this cable would need moving. We contacted our billing company and they had the relevant contractor contact us to visit and quote for the work.

In light of the mess that follows it may serve not to name the miscreant Company.

The contractor man came a few days later by appointment and, without going up to inspect it, said it was a straightforward job as we already had scaffolding in place on a concrete floor. He quoted a price and said it could be done in 2 week time. That seemed really efficient and we were relieved as it tied in well with the work schedule.

2 weeks later the implementation manager arrived to schedule the work for the next few days and horrors he inspected the cable and declared it as not safe due to the covering having perished. He used words we later meant they could dodge calling it an emergency but could schedule the work. All our side of the street had to be rewired.

They said we must expect a delay of 4 to 6 weeks while they plan the work and appoint scaffolders. Effectively all work stopped and our trouble began.

delay after delay and cock up after cock up the work was done suddenly 2 days before the group chairman appeared before the House of Commons Select Committee. From scaffolding obstructing where they had to dig, to finding the cable was not there but where the scaffolding had been moved to, etc etc etc.

It took 14 weeks and we had passed from summer into autumn with all the gales of 2013 thoroughly soaking everything.

Needless to say the downside of this is the unnecessary costs incurred by the comedy of errors. We have it all catalogued and costed, but for the stress and massive loss of convenience.

I am led to believe there is an infrastructure supplier who takes the electricity from the generator to the consumer unit inside my house. The infrastructure company contracts out the maintenance to a contractor. In this instance the contractor is a sister company of billing company, who are the only people I have a contract with.

Who do I go after? and how? law sounds like throwing money in the fire. but who do I sue? Is there some arbitration service can go to? what other channels are open to us?

advice please.

Sod it I will name them - Scottish & Southern

Sponsored Links
Was it within the scope of your contract with the builders to have the cable moved? Do you have the initial 2 weeks timescales for moving it in writing?

The company you are dealing with are the DNO: Distribution Network Operator. It's their cable and you need them to move it.

What was the wording of the contract with the DNO for moving the cable? Were any penalty clauses specified for non-completion of contracted works within the specified time period?

When our builder was putting our or extension across the back he identified this cable would need moving. We contacted our billing company and they had the relevant contractor contact us to visit and quote for the work.

That suggests the building work had already started before the DNO was contacted about moving the cable.

I looks like the DNO are faced with the task of working in the middle of a building site. Much more difficult than working on a cable along a blank wall.

The DNO should have been consulted BEFORE any work was begun.

I would say the responsibility for the delays is on the person or persons who failed to notice the cable would need moving BEFORE work began

Someone has sent or will send you a bill for moving the cable. The one you pay is the one you have the contract with and so they're the one you have the argument with; if they appointed someone to act on their behalf (eg sub-contractor) it's still the responsibility of the main contractor.

pj

Sponsored Links
When reading your account I came up with same as bernardgreen to me the order of events was to move the cable before work was started so only costs are really those directly to do with cable move not though any inconvenience to the builders.

Unless you were requested putting up scaffold by some one to do with moving cable then can't really charge them for scaffold changes.

We have a similar one coming up with my sons house. We know the DNO are wrong they tell us the cables only supply my sons house where we know they also supply next door. He wants cables moving off the wall and he has had a quote before they can be moved he needs to have a meter cabinet and tails ready for the move but will do nothing else until moved does not matter how long they take nothing will be started until cable move is completed.

We know it is going to cause problems there is no way leave in place they have admitted that by stating next door is not supplied from his house but next door is empty so it will not be a simple case of knocking on the door. My sons house is the easy bit concentric cable out of ground long enough to be diverted direct into meter box. It will be next doors supply which will cause the problem. Since he knows before they start there will be problems he will not start anything until it's resolved.

If your builder jumped the gun then looking at too sets of people. One the builder and two the local authority building control and the latter never seem to accept any blame for errors. The problem with a builder is they will often consider a question as a command. Had it with my mother she would ask if something could be done they would answer yes do it and add it to bill but she was only really asking if it was possible so she could discus with my dad and me. So a simple verbal question like do we have to wait until cables are moved can be taken as a request to start before cables are removed. And you can bet your life the verbal request is documented.

The same applies in reverse of course if the electric people asked for scaffold to be erected then likely you can bill them but of course you must have the name of guy who made the request.

However this is really not an electric question it's more of a legal one and as such this is really not the place to post it.

Someone has sent or will send you a bill
I would not be expecting a bill, the cable was unsafe and needed to be replaced. Surely a DNO responsibility.

The implementation manager arrived...... and declared it as not safe due to the covering having perished....... All our side of the street had to be rewired.
That would mean the the whole street would get a bill, unless they expect the OP to pay for it all :eek:

Someone has sent or will send you a bill
I would not be expecting a bill, the cable was unsafe and needed to be replaced. Surely a DNO responsibility.
Quite. I suspect that the OP may not realise how 'lucky' he has been. Just moving the cable which was in his way would, indeed, have resulted in a bill, perhaps a substantial one. However, if the DNO has decided that the whole cable needs to be replaced, the cost of that work is obviously down to them - and I would have thought that the charge to OP for routing the replacement cable according to his wishes would be minimal, or zero.

It does sound as if things have been done in the wrong order in this project! In fact, as far as I can make out, the OP's only conceivable grievance is in relation to the initial '2 weeks' estimate (which may or may not have been formalised in writing - which I doubt), provided by someone who "had not looked" at the cable. Had someone actually "looked" at that stage and realised that the cable needed to be replaced, if they had said that the work would be done in 3 months, or 6 months, time, I don't think the OP could have done anything about that.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back