Who do I call?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

My back door upvc handle mechanism has seized. It's the type which you pull up first to to lock and pull down to open once unlocked. Problem is it won't pull down to open. It won't go further than the horizontal position.

Arrghh got washing that needs to be put on the line...typical, first sunny day in weeks :mad:

Anyhoo, I'd rather leave this to the experts cos I know I would cause more damage if I tried to fix it myself.

What I want to know is, do I need to call a locksmith or a UPVC company in? I don't want to get the wrong person in and he takes ages to figure out the problem and charges by the hour.

Thanks for your help. I hope there's someone around now to answer!!! The washing's just finished :unsure:

Sponsored Links
Either should be able to do the job required.
If you have any WD40 might be worth spraying the handle with it to see if it frees up.
The replacement is quite simple and if you know anyone who is quite handy with DIY they should be able to do it!

Cheers Prenticeboy. I rang a locksmith in the end after chatting with the neighbour's builder (who had a look himself first).

He's now been and gone (bank balance now £150 lighter :rolleyes: )
Bit had sheared off inside. He chatted longer than the job took :LOL:

I am glad you got it sorted.
It's one of them things, if you not sure.
It's best to get in someone who knows what they are doing, even though it cost £150 at least the washing can get hung out ;)

Sponsored Links
I am glad you got it sorted.
It's one of them things, if you not sure.
It's best to get in someone who knows what they are doing, even though it cost £150 at least the washing can get hung out ;)

yep unwashed because they are skint :D :D

worth cleaning and lubricating all visible mechanism on the door every year

worth cleaning and lubricating all visible mechanism on the door every year

that never occurred to me big-all

In my search someone mentioned not using WD40 in locks as it attracts dust (our locksmith pooh poohed that btw :rolleyes: ) but to use graphite instead. Can anyone vouch for that advice?

WD40 was only mentioned to hopefully free the mechanism of your handle.
To maintain the locks in good order, I thing the jury is out on graphite.
The much preferred method would be to stick with what ever the manufacturer of the lock recommends or I have heard that the use of either gun oil or a teflon lubricant will do the job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back