Who is responsible for repair/failure after building control

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a very uneven dining room floor (too much for screed to resolve without creating a step to get into the room). I've had one company out for a quote to excavate and fill/insulate/etc that I found on 'mybuilder . com'.

As they do not have public liability insurance listed, I queried who would be responsible for any future correction if, for example the floor settled uneven, cracked or showed signs of damp in room.

They advised that building control would be notified and they would abide by their decisions throughout. That provided building control sign off on the works as being conducted to regulations then they are no longer responsible if there is failure after the event and the fault would fall to building control (in this case Tameside council) to rectify.

Is this correct (in any way), should I steer clear (i.e. cowboys) or are there any specific questions I should be asking?

Regards

Sponsored Links
A contractor is responsible for his work, plain and simple. No one else.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back