Who is to be blamed

STI

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Out of interest who gets the final blame if something goes wrong, the installer or manufacturer.

I am about to fit a 14.1kw ceramic hob range cooker. I enquired of the manufacturer what breaker and cable connections they require. I stated that according to my calcs I could use 6mm with a 32A breaker (allowing for diversity) The reply came back use 6mm with a 40A breaker.

Although I can see this being ok if the wiring is clipped direct, any other method and the cable rating falls below the breaker rating.

So if anything did go wrong with the 40A 6MM config. who would get the blame legally. I know I will in reality :)

Sponsored Links
The manufacturer cannot tell you what cable to use - They can tell you what the maximum current demand is (with diversity perhaps), and you then install a supply accordingly.

They may say 6mm², but perhaps meaning the final tail? (which is usually H07 type)

Follow the manufacturers instruction supplied with the appliance and the IEE wiring regulations. Then the responsibility is the manufacturers, if the appliance does not function as it should.
Simples!

The manufacturer cannot tell you what cable to use - They can tell you what the maximum current demand is (with diversity perhaps), and you then install a supply accordingly.
As you say,they cannot (or should not!) say anything about what cable to use, not the least because that will depend on installation method. However, what they usually do specify is the rating of the protective device - leaving the user to then ensure that the cable, with its installation method, is adequate to be protected by the OPD in question. Whilst some do say things like "MCB of at least 32A", it quite common to see "...must be protected by a 32A MCB" (regardless of cable size), perhaps implying that they are relying on the circuit's MCB to protect the actual appliance (rather than installiong their own internal protection). In that situation, they might try claiming that it was the user's fault if overcurrent damage occurred to an appliance which was protected by an OPD higher in rating than they said "must" be used.

Nor is this restricted to large appliances. MIs for small extractor fans often/usually say that they 'must' be protected by a 3A fuse, regardless of cable size.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
All the above is true - the manufacturer can tell you that the hob requires a 40A supply, but not whether you need 6mm², 10mm² or even 16mm² cable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back