Who supplies the best door linings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am replacing the internal door linings before the house is skimmed. I did this in my last house and used pine frames from Selco. Whilst they looked ok i was never 100% happy with them. Are there any suppliers that offer better quality for what is a basic product.

Are the pre primed MDF versions a better option?

Has anyone purchased any recently at a good price?

I was thinking about buying pre hung door sets but i odnt want the doors left about even protected whilst the rest of the builders work is carried out so am going to go for frames then buy and swing the doors at the end.

Sponsored Links
Pretty much every softwood kit I've had in recent years has been awful, regardless of source. Some of the best door casings are made from joinery grade redwood and a decent timber merchant should be able to supply materials machined to size ready for you to rebate and cut housings, as required. Some of the merchants I've dealt with even make-up sets to spec. TBH you don't buy cheap and get good. MDF casings, whilst popular on some builds, don't hold screws anywhere near as well as softwood and will absorb moisture like blotting paper in any building not completely weather tight

I am confident in making my own liners. I must admit it is not something i have thought about even though i had to make a bespoke frame on my last project.

Out of curiosity, why redwood?

On this project whilst cost is a key factor, quality is the main thing so i am after the best product for the job.

Sponsored Links
Because joinery grade redwood is generally finer grained than whitewood and has less knots.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back