27 door linings - which softwood?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to fit 27 door linings as part of my home renovation project.
Will opt for soft wood to save on cost.

Whats the most cost effective softwood to go for which has minimal knots in. One merchant offered me the choice between redwood, southern yellow pine or some other pine I forget the name, white wood or something?

Which softwood is more dense and better quality for heavy doors and are reasonable in price?
Suggestion for any suppliers?

Sponsored Links
If you want strong door frames then ash would be a good option.

Sponsored Links
in general you choose the frame sets available the timber choice available and cost per set and balance them off compared to required and budget

in general you choose the frame sets available the timber choice available and cost per set and balance them off compared to required and budget

Not necessarily, you can go to a joinery firm (which I am doing) to have made up what you want rather than some cheap Wickes rubbish.

If painting I'd go for either a clear (of knots) joinery grade redwood or alder if available. Ash, like any coarse grained, open pore timber will not paint out well without a lot of work, and in any case is relatively expensive. Southern yellow pine is more prone to winding (twisting) after machining in my own experience

If painting I'd go for either a clear (of knots) joinery grade redwood or alder if available. Ash, like any coarse grained, open pore timber will not paint out well without a lot of work, and in any case is relatively expensive. Southern yellow pine is more prone to winding (twisting) after machining in my own experience

What about redwood? Is redwood different from southern yellow pine? Which is better out of the two (assuming they are different)?

What about redwood? Is redwood different from southern yellow pine? Which is better out of the two (assuming they are different)?
In a word yes they are different. The European redwood is probably superior (for the reasons given above)

The Technical Bit

European redwood (or Scandinavian Pine) is imported from Sweden, Finland and Russia.Knots are common but the grading system (from 1 to 7 for European, 1 to 5 for Russian - the lower the number the higher the quality and the less the knots) is how stuff is described. Very few firms supply 1st and 2nd these days as it is very expensive. The difference in quality between Russian and Scandinavian isn't that clear, though. Officially 4ths Russian redwood is an equivalent to 5ths Scandinavian redwood, but 5ths Scandinavian redwood is more consistent in quality from one piece to the next. However, Russian redwood has also been slightly cheaper compared to the Scandinavian equivalent, but this price difference reflects the difference in consistency of quality. This leads to 5ths and 4ths being the most widely used joinery grade redwoods

What does it mean 1st, 2nds thirds etc.
Also I dont understand this concept of "unsorted". That's supposed to be a good thing but I would have thought unsorted means "you get a pile of ****" because its not categorised accordingly!?

You'll probably never see 1sts (clearest grade - minimal/small knots) to 3rds (more and larger knots, some pitch pockets). You will see 4ths, 5ths and unsorteds - which as they say are are everything from good to carp, sometimes in a single plank. Go to a timber yard (NOT a builders yard or a DIY store), tell them what you are doing and see what they'll offer you. It's om;ly by using the material, rather than just talking about it, that you'll learn what you need to have

but what is the word "unsorted" regarded as good?

Softwood is graded in gardes 1 to 6.

The grades 1 to 4 are not separated out for general use.

So the common grade option available to buy are: grades 1 to 4 known as 'unsorted' and grade 5, known as 'fifths

Fifths are more knotty so used for lower grade work.

Generally thinner boards like 25mm and 32mm are cut from sideboards, which often have fewer knots. So if you buy skirting, its often pretty clean.

We often make door liners out of tulipwood, a cheapish timber from America. Its still quite a bit dearer than softwood, but if we are making an internal door set, the extra cost of the timber is offset by the time saved in painting.

Unsorted and fifths is generally used to grade redwood or known as pine.

Whitewood is spruce timber and is used for carcassing, ie studwork. Its usually graded for strength rather than looks, although nowadays budget linings maybe whitewood.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back